Chapter 24. That's Odd.

"Miss Jones, would you like to answer the question?" Mr. Barns looks at me expectantly, an amused smile playing on his lips.

I blush and nod, "You have to lightly brown the meat before putting it in the dish."

"Very good!" He smiles in approval then continues on to the next question.

"Good job, Cupcake." Zander leans over in his seat, "How'd you know?"

I roll my eyes and push his face away, "It's obvious that you don't want to put raw meat in your dish."

He stares over at me confused, his eyebrows frowning slightly causing his forehead to scrunch inwards. "But wouldn't the meat cook too?"

I cover my mouth in an attempt to hold in my laughter. "Oh my goodness, Zander, no! It would be half raw by the time everything else is ready!" I laugh silently, tears threatening to spill from laughing too hard.

He pouts and crosses his arms, grumbling in response. "I didn't know that."

I giggle and poke his shoulder, "Now you know."

He rolls his eyes but smiles over at me softly, lightly bumping my arm with his then leans forward to write in his notes. I shake my head and chuckle, grabbing my pen as well and scribbling down what Mr. Barns is saying.

My phone buzzes in my pocket, drawing my attention away from my notes. Who in the world it texting me in the middle of class?! I look up to see if anyone is looking, then quickly slip my phone out of my pocket enough to read the message.

Hey, cutie ;) -Keagen

I bite my lip and smile, a warm fuzzy feeling spreading across my chest.

Hey, what's up? Aren't you in class? :) -S

Nope I'm waiting for practice to start, want to meet me in the field once you're done? :) -Keagen

Yeah, sure!! -S

"Miss Jones, mind joining the rest of us?" Mr. Barns stares down at me, an eye brow raised in surprise.

I instantly blush in embarrassment, "I'm sorry, Sir. It won't happen again." I quickly turn off my phone and shove it back into my pocket.

He sighs and shakes his head, disapproval and disappointment clear in his voice. "I hope not. Let this be your first and last warning." I nod, casting my eyes down at my hands. He walks back to the front and continues the lesson. Other students turn back in their seats as well, some leaning over to whisper to their partner then look back at me not-so-discreetly. Great, you really did it now Sarah.

I feel a soft poke to my rip, causing me to jump slightly in shock. Zander smiles over at me, sheepishly pulling his hand away from me. "Why were you on your phone?" He raises an eyebrow and smirks, "Is the good girl going bad?" He wiggles his eyebrows suggestively.

I roll my eyes then glare playfully, "What's it matter to you?"

He stifles a laugh, both of us glancing towards the front of the room to make sure we're not going to get caught. He turns back to me and grins mischievously, "No reason, it just makes you more fun to be around."

I gasp and lightly punch his arm, "As if I'm not fun already!"

"I was kidding!" He exclaims, his hand holding the spot I just punched. He stares at me with wide eyes, mouth slightly ajar. I stare back then slowly reach up, hooking my finger under his chin and closing his mouth.

"Drooling is nasty."

The bell shrills across the room, causing the students to pack up their bags in a frenzy. I smile smugly and grab my stuff, hoping off my seat and leaving a stunned Zander behind. That'll teach him! I can be fun when I want to be!