Chapter Six

After getting off the boat I didn't really have my land legs, but that was the highlight of my night. Eric and I had a very casual drink, no ground breaking topics had been brought up and nothing unusual happened. He did look at me funny, but I assumed I smelled like sex.

"Kat, can you help me with the dishes?" My mother called from the kitchen. I grab whats left on the table and bring it to her. She's got her hair in a messy bun as she scrubs Grandma's favorite flower plates.

"You look different, are you seeing someone?"

I nod, I shouldn't have but I did. I want to tell everyone, anyone- but I know I can't.

"Who is it sweetheart?" She says so gleefully.

"Someone I met at a bar," I put a hand up. "Before you get mad, it was not Tinder."

"Thank god, because I was watching the news and some girl got raped and murdered from that website."

"It's an app, but okay."

"You look happy," She gives me the most mom like smile.

"I am happy," I say like a teenage girl. "Really happy."

"Well maybe your father and I can meet him?"

I shake my head quickly, "Too soon mom." Yeah, let's wait like... seven years or so.

"Katherine, you know you're not getting any younger-" I put a hand up. I know, I know mom. I need a child. I have one! We have Sex! okay, wait- not. not cool.

The rest of my visit is mostly me and mom, dad left for his card game with his old pals from the navy. He had already left by the time I was born, so I don't have any really interesting stories about him being gone and me wondering if he'd ever come home.

When I pulled into my driveway I was surprised to find a white box at my door, it was large but not very heavy. I brought it inside, examining it. It could be a bomb- or that thing I ordered from china two years ago... Better find out.

I slice it open with my car keys, inside is lots of pink tissue paper. Hmmm, this wreaks of Bash.
On top of the tissue is a note, 'Kitten, call me after you open this.'

I'm kind of excited to see what's inside, some sick part of me assumes he sent 'toys' but it could really be anything.

I pull out a beautiful Emerald color gown, floor length with a sweetheart neckline.m "Wow," escape my lips. It's Vera Wang, so we ain't playing around here. The waist is gathered to one side and the most remarkable cluster of jewels is sprawled in a starburst.

At the bottom of the box is a pair of shows to match, I mean I own a pair of Jimmy Choo but these aren't something you find at a second hand store- there are insanely gorgeous strappy sandals.

My phone rings and it's him, as if he could read my mind. "Do you like it?"

"I love it, but I'm not keeping it." I place it back in the box.

"What? Why not?"

"It's too much, I know that cost a lot Bas-" he clears his throats and I know that it means he wants to talk.

"Nonsense, I don't want to hear it. Plus you'll be need it next weekend."

"What's next weekend?"
He chuckles. "Another surprise."

The next week of classes were uneventful. I had been planning a pop quiz for the students and I can tell you none of them were excited taking it, except Bash who seemed unbothered by it.

"Nicely done, Mr. Wilde," I say handing him his test back. It's not just because I'm sleeping with him, he really is bright. His taste in music is before his time, his taste in everything is honestly.