Seven

Dedicated to sociaIcxsuaIty

We are the new Americana! Ahhh, ahhh. High on legal marijuana. Aaahhh.

I'm not in a club this time. I'm at what's called a school dance. The backstreet type in the gym get-together though. It's so... Lame. Cringey. There were random streamers here and there, some speakers, a fake little stage where a DJ was at. I don't know what's worse- the fact that the DJ is trying to hype people up, or the fact that I like to know this DJ from a club.

I approach the stage, people moving out of my way. Me being me, I'm in a short, mid-thigh white party dress. My shoes were sparkly white and bedazzled to match my dress. I calmly climb the stage by the stairs on the side, something we're not supposed to do, but whatever.

"Hey, girl, you aren't supposed to be up Kehlani?" He asks, his voice coming through the mic on his ear, catching everyone's attention. I walk up and we do the bro-shake. The one that every man seems to know by instinct. He pulls off his mic with a big smile. The school crowd stares, confused, along with the teachers. How would I know, right? Pfft. I grab the mic quickly.

"I live for clubbing. Look at me. I know people. Go back to what you were doing." I say, my voice going through the speakers. I catch Ryder's eye and wink at him before setting it down. "Well, well, I never thought I'd see the way DJ Link would play bad music," I say, shaking my head in disapproval and sitting on the table on the stage next to the laptop he uses to choose music.

"Ugh. I know right? They all choose the worst music." He says. I laugh.

"No doubt. How about we... Teach them a few things." I say, an eyebrow raised. He nods eagerly. I grab the laptop and pause the song. Everyone stops and looks over, and I hold a finger up. I scroll through the loads of music, finding my favorite track. Maybe because it's titled Kehlani's track, I don't know why.

I press play, and everyone stops for a second before looking at the stage, and then going wild. I heard cheers at the new music- which was very fast beats all mixed, making sounding for excitement. I see someone out of the corner of my eye spiking the punch while I have everyone distracted. Everyone starts dancing- club dancing. Meaning, the grinds against bodies, the everyone bumping into each other. I even see a few teachers who are in the corner of the room slightly away from their hips. I raise an eyebrow at Link.

"How's that?" I ask. He laughs. I give a devious smile which I learned from the best- my mom.

She held this same smile every time I started to do something bad. When she realized I'd gone full-blown bad, she held this smile proudly when we'd go shopping together. For some odd reason, she loved how I got stares from men everywhere I went, the wolf whistles, the hit-ons. Sometimes it was annoying. She loved the fact that I use drinking, and sex for distraction. That's the way she liked it. Me not able to remind her whatsoever of Dad and Sam.

I gave Link a little wave while climbing back down the steps, and got through the now-getting larger crowd that moved in a path away from me to let me walk.

I walked out of the gym, and into the halls. I grabbed the bag from behind the trash can, looking around to see if anyone was out there. My school doesn't have security cameras. In such a small town, they couldn't afford it.

I couldn't help but give some dark laughter as I slipped down the hall, and into the old wing. There were a few classes in this hall, but not many. I stopped at the open part of the wall and opened the bag. I pulled on my gloves. I grabbed black spray paint first and started outlining. Once I was done with that, I grabbed the gray and started painting in certain places, making a shadowed look. I kept painting, different paint in different areas. The only color I used was blue.