Prequel Piece 1

2 years ago.

"I don't want to change. I like myself as I am, Mom." I tell her. It'd been a couple of weeks since the divorce. She wasn't taking it well at all. She threw away all my clothing, and any contact I had with my father and brother was diminished as well. 

I hated it here. I was beginning to hate her. I never thought I'd say that about my mother, the one who was so kind, and so loving while I was younger. 

Was it all false? Fake? 

My mother stands from the couch she sits on. She'd moved us into a strange man's home, who I was 99% certain was some sort of drug dealer. 

She laughs as she slowly turns to face me. The look in her eyes scared me, and my gut dropped. I shouldn't have said anything.

This became more apparent as she approached me, bright red cigarette in hand. 

My mother grabs me by her right hand and pushes me directly into the glass coffee table.  I hear the shattering before I can register anything. And then the pain begins. 

My eyes slowly open as I lie still. Eyes wide, I stare up at her in utter shock. She'd never once laid a hand upon me. 

She smiles down at me, that same old comforting smile she'd always given me. 

"Quite frankly, Kehlani... I don't care what you do or do not want. You will do this, not because you want to, but because you need to. This is how everyone in this area dresses, acts, and lives. If you go out in public in your plain Jane ugly clothing screaming middle-class girl next door, you will be eaten alive or, better yet, killed. And, honestly, you need to do this because I need you to do this. You remind me too much of your father, and if you don't change that... Well, I may just end up killing you myself." 

Tears build in my eyes quickly. 

"Why do this? Why move us here? Why live like this?" I sob out. Blood begins dripping from my now tarnished skin, dripping quietly onto the deep mahogany wood below. 

"I couldn't survive in a normal environment... Not now. I've already plunged into the deep end, baby girl. It's time you do too." She says, holding her cigarette out to me. 

I stare at her hand, more tears welling and pouring from my eyes. 

Slowly, my hand raises, and I take it from her hand.

I accept the offer.

And I plunge straight into the deep end.