Eighteen

"We are the new Americana, high on legal marijuana."

-New Americana, Halsey.

Dedicated to sociaIcxsuaIty

"What the hell are you talking about?" I ask the lady. "My Mom's in jail? Hold up, your talking about that bitch fight I got in at the club a few weeks ago, right? Damn, I thought those bruises were gone. Bitch better watch her hands." I say, muttering the last part. "So Mom's in jail... I can go to like, Andrew's place until she out? Wait, did Mitch get thrown in too?" I ask quickly. Her eyes flash.

"Kehlani, look to me a sec." The doctor says. I do as he asks. "What's the last thing you remember?" He asks. I sigh, and think.

"Mmm. I was clubbing. Mom was at the counter with Mitch, talking to a customer, and I was dancing with a guy named... Mike. I rolled my eyes at Mitch when he looked at me.. And that's it." I say. "Oh, wait! There was like, a gunshot. Yeah that's it." I say with a shrug. The doctor sighs.

"Get her father in here, along with her brother, Ryder, please come here." He says. My head shoots to the guy. My eyes widen.

"Ryder Flynn?! Damn, you're even hotter up close. Wait, why are you here? Wait... Why am I here? Did I get shot again?" I ask, annoyed. Ryder puts a hand on his face and rubs down his face, his face full of realization and sadness.

The lady asks me more questions while a man, Ryder, a girl around our age, and a boy around the same too, talk. They come forward, looking nervous and scared, and a little sad. The woman leaves.

"Wait, so you said I had like, a mental break down?" I ask Ryder. he nods. This is crazy, seeing him after two years and talking so casually. It's pretty great though, too. I sigh. "I hate getting those. I always wake up forgetting something that went on in my life last." I say.

"This has happened before?" The doctor asks.

"Didn't I just say that?" I snap, and he visibly shrinks back a little. I turn to the little crowd. "So, what's your name?" I ask the girl. They all sigh. I notice the girl's eyes tear up.

"You mean.. She won't remember me at all?" She asks. The doctor shrugs. "My.. My name is Laney. We became friends a few weeks ago." She says. the memory of laughter and looking through my window to see her in my backseat laughing her ass off goes through my head painfully. It literally hurts. I clutch my head.

"Shit. It's happening." I mutter.

"What? Where does it hurt?" The doctor asks. I growl out.

"Just.. Hold on.." I say and wait a few seconds. I look up at him, a hand still on my head slightly. "Okay.. So, when this happens, I get memory flashes, and it hurts. Like I said, it's temporary. I get it all back- but painfully." I explain. His eyes widen in wonder and he writes on a notepad.

"When does this usually happen?" He asks.

"It's only happened three times before. Um... It happens when someone says something to me that my mentality can't take." I say. Ryder looks guilty. He writes. "It takes a while. I'll definitely I keep it off my mind, but then I'll get hallucinations or something else happens and well.. Yeah." I finish emotionally. I lay back down on the bed. "Or! It happens when an odd emotion that I don't know what to do with starts, then someone says something. Happened before like that." I say. Ryder looks confused.

"The other time?" He asks. The memories float through my head, and I feel my face contort into one of pain.

"I can't say. Sorry."

The door suddenly bursts open to reveal a clearly angry Andrew. Everyone stands as if on alert. I sit up and he comes over. He rubs the sides of my face with his thumbs.