Eight

Dedicated to sociaIcxsuaIty

"Well, well, well. Look what the cat dragged in." A man's voice says while the officer pulls me into the jail. His hand goes on my lower back to usher me forward, but I make the same snap at him, and he raises that hand in surrender. A few laughs go off when he does. "Don't get touchy-feely, Fredricks, she's a minor. Also heard she was a bad girl." The same voice goes off.

"Don't you know not to make assumptions? Or to believe in rumors? Well, in my case they're true. It doesn't mean to make everyone out to be that way. I'm just a shadow." I tell the guy as we walk past him. He looks confused.

"Well, I'll call your dad." Another voice says.

"Alright," I say. They push me through the metal detector, and it goes off. I laugh. They un-cuff me, maybe because there are no women around and they'd instead not do a patting. I pull my phone out of my bra, sending a quick test to Andrew before turning it off and handing it over to him, then I reach in the boot and grab the little pocket knife that's closed. I toss it to him, and he catches it. "I only usually keep one weapon on me at a time," I say, laughing.

"I hope not in school." He says. I shake my head.

"I'm not looking to get myself in an insane asylum. Or detention center. Or military school. Though, it'd probably benefit me, don't you think?" I ask him while he pulls me along and puts me in a holding cell.

"Whatever you say." He says back, obviously trying to ignore me. I smile and sit on the hard bed, prepared to wait.

.
.
.

RYDER'S POV.

"Where's Kehlani?" Sam asks, her Dad behind him. I love how Sam always beats it to him.

"So, that's the thing." I say, and his face clouds over. "She may, or may not have, attacked some guys at the park for pushing little Charlotte here," I say, pushing Charlotte in front of me, letting them see all the mud. "Into mud. Well, they're all bloody and beat, and she's in the back of a cop car. Or in a holding cell by now, I don't know." I say. Mr. Stevenson puts a hand on his face. Sam just looks worried. The phone rings beside me, so I pick it up, putting it on speaker.

"Hello. This is Officer Wyatt at the station to report that your daughter, Kehlani, is in here." The guy tells us through the phone.

"So can I get like, a harmonica?" I hear Kehlani's voice in the background shout with question. Someone tells her to shut up, and she replies, "make me. Come at me bro. I can take you." I hear her. I can't help but laugh.

"I don't care. I'm not coming to get her. She can spend the night in jail." Mr. Stevenson says. Me and Sam both look at him with incredulous expressions.

"Oh, wait? Really? Oh, okay. Maybe that's why she was texting before she gave us her phone? Yeah I don't know. Let her go then, if he paid." The officer says to someone, it's kind of muffled. I hear Kehlani's whoop.

"Freedom! Who paid me out?" She asks in the back, her voice much louder, as if she's right there. I hear her start laughing uncontrollably. "No surprise there. See, men, that's the thing." She says, her voice lowered to a whisper as if she's telling a secret. We all just stand in her living room with confused expressions. Who paid her way out- Andrew. Oh god. I grab my keys and start shrugging on my jacket as she continues talking. "A girl like me, gets that one guy that's totally bad for her. Just plain bad. She gets him wrapped around her finger, and he does anything to try to make her his." She says. I open the door, and run to my car. I get in, and drive.

I'm too late though.

My last sight of her is getting in a really nice car, some guy slapping her ass on the way, which makes me see red, and her laughing in the passenger side, looking over at him with a wicked gleam. Her expression is scaring me. I've never seen her look like that, not even when she was vandalizing something.