Twenty-Two

Dedicated to sociaIcxsuaIty

"I'm in love with you."

He whispers the words as if relieved to tell me

I'm frozen on spot, basking in the words and how they feel. They feel warm. Everything about him feels warm.

God dammit, Ryder Flynn, what have you done to me?

He opens his eyes, staring into mine.

"It's okay, you don't have to say anything. You just needed to know. Kehlani, I've been in love with you since... Forever, really. You asked me why I cared so much and that's that. I can't sit here anymore, because I love you too much to do so." He exclaimed.

My head is whirling.

Feeling emotion like never before. Whereas his touch leaves me breathless, gives me the warm feeling, his words strike my heart with fire, burning, it beating faster than any adrenaline rush. Cue the tears streaming my face. He looks at me confused, and brushes away my tears with his thumbs.

"Kitten?" He asks softly.

"Ryder! Kehlani!" A panicked Sam calls out. We both turn. He runs over. "Aunt Carol is in the hospital. Some disease." He says quickly.

"We don't have an aunt Carol." I say.

"Karen's sister." He says.

"Oh, to hell with that. I'm not going. Fuck that." I say with a snort.

"Okay, that's fine, but someone has to stay with you, because, well..." He trails off. I get it after three seconds. I roll my eyes. They are right, I probably would run off.

"I'll stay." Ryder says calmly. My entire body heats up at the thought of us being alone in a house.

"Alright. We're gonna be gone for a couple of weeks. Behave. I gotta go now. I love you, sis." He says, coming forward and kissing my head. Panic strikes me. Weeks. I'll be gone. I fight back tears.

"Okay, I love you too." I whisper, giving him a hug. He releases me and runs back in the building.

At least that's the last thing I'll personally say to him. Of course, it wouldn't be the overall last. I'm sure I'll be allowed to write from time to time. Maybe call using an untraceable phone.

I didn't realize Ryder was leading me to his truck. He opens the door and I step in without a word.

"I want to see Charlotte before they leave." I say quietly as he gets in. he starts the truck and nods.

"I figured as much." He replies. The ride is perfectly silent. Neither of us say anything. For the first time in my life, I have nothing, yet everything to say at the same time. I want to tell him. To tell him everything. Pour my heart out and cry in his arms while he tells me sweet things.

But I know I can't.

I just wish...

He stops in front of the house, and I waste no time throwing myself out and running in. I go in my room, and grab the necklace, and put a Polaroid picture from this morning in it and then walk to Char's room. Karen is zipping up her coat.

"Hey... Is it okay if me and her go on a walk really quick?" I ask. Karen purses her lips. "Please." I say desperately. She rolls her eyes and nods. Charlotte grabs my hand eagerly. "Pick her up from the walk." I say and walk out. When we get on the road, we walk for a little bit, me biting my lip.

"Did you want to talk about somefing?" Charlotte asks, giving me a toothy smile. I look back and see we're pretty far from the house. I lower to my knees so I'm eye level with her.