Chapter One - The Steps of Living

A/N Thank you guys so much for all the positive feedback! So i welcome finally, CHAPTER ONE! :)

---

Chapter One - The Steps of Living

JORDAN'S POV

"I'm getting married, Jordan," Ellie said, on the verge of tears.

Anger and disbelief boiled up inside me. "What?!" I yelled, getting up, hoping the slight jealousy towards the man in my voice didn't blow my cover that I had liked Ellie. A lot.

"My mom and dad set me up on some arranged marriage shit! But I don't want to fucking get married! At least not with someone I don't even know!" Ellie screamed, whipping a pillow that was lying on my couch across the room.

At this point, I wanted to cry. The girl that I had liked since the fourth grade was going to get married, not to me, but to somebody that she didn't even know. Ellie doesn't deserve this at all.

"I want to fall in love with someone, not be forced to marry a guy I don't know, probably because my parents think he's rich or something," she murmured, letting tears slip from her eyes while putting her head into her hands.

"Ellie, it's okay. Maybe they were joking," I suggested, wrapping my arms around her, feeling butterflies fly around in my stomach.

"My parents never joke, Jordan. You know that. Not ever since Cass left. I haven't LIVED before!" she yelled into my shoulder.

"I'm sure you have, Ellie, maybe the little things," I continued.

"Well I've fallen for someone..." Ellie mumbled so quietly that I almost didn't catch it. My heart dropped deep into my stomach.

She already likes someone... I thought, sadness welling up inside of me.

"Fallen for who?" I said, almost too forcefully.

Ellie's hands flew up towards her mouth and she looked as if she had just seen a ghost. "Did I just..." she began, trailing off.

I laughed and nodded.

"Oh, umm... someone you don't know, he didn't go to our school," she said casuaully, shrugging. My heart tore in two and I knew that I couldn't let her know that I had liked her at this point now.

"That's great, because I have too. You don't know her either," I lied, hoping she didn't see through me.

She smiled at me. I tried to read her eyes, but I couldn't, since they were swimming with her previous tears.

"I just wish I could relive the nineteen years I've wasted and smush them into six months before I get married," she muttered.

"Well, maybe I can help," I said, surprising myself, and her both.

"For the next six months, Ellie, I'm going to teach you how to live. But first, let's eat dinner," I said, standing up and grabbing her hand.

After dinner, Ellie was about to leave the house, but I didn't want to let her go. I needed to think of an excuse to let her stay.

Instead of letting her leave, I dragged her to the guest room and tossed her one of my shirts and basketball shorts.

I told her goonight, and I entered my bedroom, changing into a shirt and basketball shorts as well.

When I climbed into the bed, it was as if I was even more awake. I couldn't fall asleep. I was tempted to climb into Ellie's bed next to her, but I knew that that was a terrible idea.

At around 3:30, I heard my door creak open. I immediately closed my eyes and fake-snored, hoping that if it were Ellie, she would think I was asleep.