Chapter Two - Getting Ready

ELLIE'S POV

I started to choke and cough violently when Jordan finished his sentence. I don't think he caught on that the waitress standing right there, basically bullying me, was my own sister, and she didn't even know that either.

I immediately got up out of my seat, ignoring the delicious smells coming from the bacon and pancakes. I was still coughing when I ran out of IHOP, and I heard Jordan get up out of his seat as well.

I stood outside, finally managing to make the coughing subside, and I saw Jordan scramble out of the restaurant after me, a worried and confused look on his face.

"What just happened back there?" he said, guiding both of us back to his car.

When we had climbed in the car, the realization finally hit me. That was my sister. My sister. The person who abandoned me and left me to live this dull life, the person who left me when I was only six, the person who I thought was dead.

I just shook my head and looked up at Jordan, tears starting to form in my eyes. "Jordan..." I began. "That was Cassidy."

Jordan furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, then it immediately turned to shock. He opened his mouth slightly as if he were to say something, but he quickly clamped it shut.

"Jordan, that was my sister. She didn't even realize it was me, that's how long it's been," I said, shaking my head. Tears were glistening on the corners of my eyes, and I didn't even know why.

Perhaps it was the mere fact that I had just realized my sister was alive, maybe that she didn't recognize me, or she seemed to hate my guts.

I tipped my head back against the seat, and I let out a sigh as Jordan started the car, and in a matter of minutes, we were back at his house.

We both entered his house and I immediately ran into the guest room, slammed the door, collapsed onto the bed, and screamed into the pillow.

After a few minutes, I heard Jordan knock on my door quietly. He opened it a crack and poked his head in. "Ellie, can I come in?"

I huffed in response and he came over and sat on the bed next to me. "Ellie, you have no idea if that was actually your sister," Jordan said calmly, speaking as soothingly as he could.

I sat up on the bed. "Jordan, she looked exactly like me," I muttered, not looking directly into his eyes.

I felt him move some strands of my hair behind my ear, and he tipped my face up to face his. "Hey, look, everything's gonna be alright, whether she's your sister or not."

I sighed. We sat there in a comfortable silence, until I nearly jumped out of my skin when the phone on the bedside table rang. 

I checked it and saw my mother's caller ID show up. At that point, I realized I had 27 missed calls from each of my parents. Oops. I thought, sliding the answer button to the right.

I put the phone up to my ear. "Hello?" I said.

"Ellie Remy Quinn! Do you know how worried your father and I have been?! We have been calling you nonstop and you didn't even pick up!" my mother yelled into my phone. I pulled the phone away from my ear so I wouldn't go deaf.

"Mom, I'm nineteen, I can go wherever the hell I want," I said in a monotone while putting the phone on speaker for Jordan to hear as well.

I heard my mother huffing in anger on the other side of the line. "You come home this INSTANT, or I won't let you see that Jordan boy I'm sure you're with right now."