Chapter Fourteen

The next week was Winter Break, so Ives didn't have school, and he was happy to find out that Tomi was also on break. That happiness was reduced by the fact that Ives still had practice everyday at noon. Everyday except Wednesday.

"Why don't we have practice Wednesday?" one of the girls asked Coach Johnson on Monday.

"It's my anniversary," he answered. "The wife wants to spend the entire day with me."

Some of the girls "awwed" about how sweet that was of him, but all Ives could think about was telling Tomi that he could finally come over again.

No practice Wednesday, he messaged as he walked to his car.

Come over? was the almost instant reply.

Ives grinned. Just tell me when and I'll be there.

They decided on an afternoon time, as soon as both of Tomi's parents went back to work after their lunch breaks. Ives was so excited that he didn't know what to do with his excess energy. So he did some laundry.

But a half an hour later, while he was cleaning his room for the first time in what felt like years, he started panicking. His phone was missing. After checking every logical place he could think of, he walked to the laundry room. Hoping beyond hope that his hunch was wrong, he stopped the washer and started sifting through the hot, wet clothes.

He found it.

Ives had no idea how it had gotten into the laundry, but he knew he was out of luck even while he tried to turn it on. He didn't even bother trying to dry it out – the thing was probably fried. It wasn't just water that had gotten into it, but hot water. And soap. He knew he had no chance of salvaging it.

At least Tomi's number had been easy to memorize. He picked up the house phone and called him. At first, he didn't think Tomi would answer, but on what Ives was sure had to be the last ring, the line picked up.

"Hey, it's me," he said, relieved.

"Oh!" Tomi said happily. "I've been trying to text you."

"That's why I'm calling," Ives explained, starting the washer again, his ruined phone safely hiding in a pocket of the jeans he was actually wearing. "I just fucking destroyed my phone."

"How?" Tomi questioned.

"I accidentally put it in the washing machine," Ives stated.

"That would probably do it," Tomi replied. "Did you put it in rice?"

"I doubt that will work." Ives shuffled back to his room, mentally cursing himself. "I'm just going to get get a replacement. The warranty should still be good."

"I hope so. When?" his boyfriend asked.

Ives sighed. "I don't know if I'll have time tomorrow. Or any day this week."

"So, no texting." Tomi sounded disappointed, and Ives didn't blame him.

"I'll text you as soon as I get a new phone," he promised.

"Will I still see you Wednesday?" Tomi questioned.

"Definitely," Ives assured him.

"Good." Tomi's voice was quieter when he added, "I miss you."

Ives had to smile. "I miss you, too. I can't wait for Wednesday."

"Neither can I," Tomi told him.

"I'll call you tomorrow night. Is that okay?" Ives asked, just to be sure.

"Sure. After my parents go to bed would be best..." Tomi replied hesitantly.