Chapter Fifteen

The next morning, despite not having slept for more than three total hours and having a pounding headache, Ives drove to the store where he'd gotten his cell phone with the intention of being the first customer once it opened. He was not disappointed.

"Yeah, it's fried," the nerdy-looking guy behind the counter told him when he was finally done testing it. Ives had already known that, so why it took twenty minutes for a professional to come to the same conclusion was beyond his comprehension. "We can replace it for fifty bucks, unless you want an upgrade. That would cost more."

"No upgrade," Ives replied. He didn't need anything fancy, just something to text and call people with.

"All right," the guy sighed, seeming slightly disappointed. "I'll go get that, then."

Ives paced the empty store while the guy vanished into the back room again. His head hurt like crazy and this whole thing was taking way too long.

When the service guy finally returned with the new phone he explained, "I can't transfer any of your stuff to this one, since the other phone is so far beyond salvaging."

"That's okay." Ives leaned on the counter and watched while the new phone was being set up. It took ages.

Finally, he left the store with his new phone, texting a message to Tomi as he walked. New phone now. Are you OK?

The response came as he was pulling into the driveway at home. It was one simple word, No.

Even though Ives had expected that, he still felt his stomach drop. I'm sorry.

Ives was kicking off his shoes inside when the reply came. Not your fault. I should have just told them earlier.

How are they acting? Ives replied quickly.

We can't be alone anymore. You can't give me rides. You can't come over. I can't come to your house. We can only go to the mall to see each other. Before Ives could think of what to say in response, another message came. I really hate my parents. I'm not leaving my room until Monday.

Ives felt a deep pang of sadness, thinking about Tomi locked away from the world in his room. I wish I knew how to make this easier for you...

Please don't leave me.

Ives felt his heart break. He sat down on his bed and hugged his phone like it was Tomi himself. I won't. I promise. He hesitated, then typed the words he'd been too scared to say before, I love you.

It seemed like an eternity before Tomi replied. I love you too. I need you.

Ives hadn't realized he was holding his breath until he finally let it out. Can you get a ride to the mall on Saturday?

I'll try.

Ives glanced at the clock and sighed. I have to get ready for practice. It'll be OK, Tomi.

I just wish it would hurry up and BE OK.

Ives couldn't agree more. All he wanted to do was give his boyfriend a hug and tell him that he loved him, in person this time.

The next afternoon, he was happy to find a text from Tomi when he got done with practice.

Happy Valentine's Day. Kiona and Shauna will bring me to the mall tomorrow afternoon.

Ives grinned. Awesome. And happy V-Day, too. I wish it was better.

So do I. How can I not see you today? It's not fair.