The Last Heirs

#A4Day25: The last survivor finally heard a knock on the door. 

"We would like to express our congratulations to you, Your Highness. Long Live the Emperor! Long Live the Empress!", the people continues to chant in a joyful celebration.

Richard III and Maine ascended the throne as the new Emperor and Empress of the Kingdom of Silla. He was the 2nd son of the late Emperor, Richard II, and an heir to the throne. She is the daughter of the Prime Minister and was betrothed to marry Richard since she was born.

Their union was long been awaited for it will strengthen the Kingdom of Silla. Emperor Richard glances at her Empress, Maine. He fell in love with her ever since the first time that their paths crossed.  She looks so beautiful with her red silk dress. She has a very fair skin complexion. Her eyes were very expressive, and her lips...Oh, how he longs to crush his lips onto hers.

For a month, the two of them were prohibited from seeing each other before their wedding. It's a tradition for the royal family. The reason is that, for the man and woman to be pure in all aspects. Empress Maine noticed that Emperor Richard was looking at her. She gave him a sweet smile.

"Your Highness, are you alright?", she asked him.

"Yes, I am. Why?", he answered her.

"Nothing, Your Highness."

Emperor Richard moved a little closer to his Empress. He pulls her by the waist. The Ministers and all the invited guests bow down their heads. Empress Maine felt shy in front of him. They've never been intimate before. She felt that her heart was racing. 

On the other hand, Emperor Richard could smell her sweet scent. He couldn't wait for their wedding night later. He wanted to hug her, kiss her, and be intimate with her. All those nights, he imagined how things will turn out for their wedding night. He wants her...now.

He was about to kiss her on the lips but she refused, "Your Highness, what are you doing?"

"I want to kiss my beautiful Empress.", he said while caressing her rosy cheeks.

"But...the guests were still here. You can't."

"Okay then. I can't. But I think, you can."

"What do you mean, Your Highness?"

"Kiss me..."

"Wh-what?"

"I said...kiss me."

"But...Your Highness..."

"Kiss me...It's a Royal Command. That's an order, my Empress."

Empress Maine was about to kiss the Emperor when a palace guard came, running.

"Your Highness, forgive me for interrupting. But, something terrible happened."

"What is it?"

"Your Highness, blood sucking creatures are now roaming in the capital. They are now heading here in the palace."

"Wh-what?"

"They are not humans...but vampires, Your Highness. The whole capital was now infected. We are in great danger."

"Protect the Emperor and the Empress!," the Chief Minister commanded the palace guards.

They were guided to the secret room inside the Emperor's chamber. Empress Maine heard the clashing of the swords and the shouts of the people outside. She saw the Emperor getting ready with his battle gear.

"Your Highness, where are you doing?"

"The vampires are now inside the palace. I will go and fight them."

"Please don't go. It's dangerous. The Ministers said that we should stay and hide here."

"No, I can't just stay here and watch our people getting killed. You stay here, my Empress."

"No. Please. Don't go."

He hugged her tight. Emperor Richard assured her Empress that he will come back for her, alive."

"My Empress, don't go out until you hear a knock on this door. The Chief Minister and I were the only one's who knew about this secret room."

"Please...let me go with you, Your Highness. I don't want to lose you."

"I will come back, I promise."

"Don't leave me here. I'm scared."

"Don't be scared, my Empress. I will come back for you. But if I came back and got bitten by the vampire. Please kill me with this.", he said to her handling the King's sword.

"No, Please don't say that. You will come back alive. You will never be a vampire."

"Please be alive, My Empress. You should be alive, even without me. I know someone will survive this battle."

"No! I would rather die with you, Your Highness.", she sobs while hugging the Emperor.

"It's an order, My Empress. And it will be my first and last request.", he said as the both of them hugged each other.

"Please be careful, Your Highness. Please come back for me."

"I will..."

Empress Maine stayed inside the secret room. For three days, she waited for him to come back. She believes that the Emperor will keep his promise.

The whole palace was filled with silence. Empress Maine couldn't hear anyone from the outside. Could it be that everyone is dead? A few minutes later, she heard a knock on the door. Suddenly, Empress Maine was filled with hope. She stood up and opened the door of the secret room. 

Then, she saw him. The Emperor was alive. But the Royal robe that he is wearing was now covered with blood. She immediately ushered him inside. But the Emperor refused to do so. 

"I know you're alive, Your Highness. Thank you for coming back."

She noticed that he was breathing so heavily. The Emperor was weak. 

"Come, let's go inside."

"No, my Empress. Instead, please kill me now..."

"What?", she asked him. Then Empress Maine saw that there was a mark on his neck. He was bitten by the vampire. 

"I feel so tired. Any minute from now, I will turn into a vampire. So, please kill me now while you still can, my Empress."

"No. I will save you."

"You can't. Kill me now. There's no time."

Both of them cried. Empress Maine raised the King's sword to kill him. But, she loses her strength doing so and dropped the sword on the floor. Suddenly, the Emperor's image started to change. She could only watch in horror as he continues to battle for his human heart from being a blood sucking creature.

"Please, let me die with you...Your Highness. As your Empress, it is my first and last request. I beg you."

"No, you can't."

"I'm sorry, Your Highness. But this time, I will disobey you."

He became a vampire, yet amazingly the Emperor could still remember her Empress. But instead of killing him, she allowed herself being bitten by the Emperor. There's no use of living this life alone. After that, she uses the King sword and stabbed him. Then, Empress Maine killed herself with a strong thrust using a dagger. 

Before they died, they cried and kissed each other on the lips. It was a very passionate kiss, and it was their first and last.