Uno

I wasn’t precisely the ideal high school student.

However, don’t make the immediate assumption that I’m the stereotypical airhead just because I was a natural blonde. In actuality, I managed to get an A in my five subjects besides Trigonometry – Trig was just a pain in the butt and I hated math with all my well being.

I just wasn’t as committed or as prideful as Paige, who was an ex-cheerleader, the captain for East Carteret High’s dance team, and a National Honor Student. Or I wasn’t as popular or as triumphant as Leon, who was well known by the in-crowd and had many athletic medals to be proud of.

Unlike my two best friends, I was as mundane as a student could be. I didn’t engage in many school clubs or organizations and although I loved to run and exercise, I didn’t try out for the Track team or any athletic teams for that matter.

I wasn’t as popular as Paige or Leon, but that didn’t mean I was socially impaired either. I’d like to think of myself as fairly friendly and confident when it came to conversing with people.

It was easy to talk, but I often stumbled when it came to sharing what major accomplishments made me outshine from the rest.

“So, tell us about yourself,” Natalia, a rather friendly woman with an aristocratic face and a pixie haircut, suggested.

Discreetly, I wiped my clammy palms on my pencil skirt while I thought of what my answer would be. Although the couch I was sitting on was incredibly comfortable and Natalia and Paul had been nothing but friendly, I couldn’t help but feel nervous.

This would be my first time being interviewed for a semi-actual job. When I saw the flier pinned up to the bulletin board and the huge amount of money they would pay me for simply babysitting a seven-year-old girl, I was beyond ecstatic at the great timing.

Living with Evan, my twenty-nine-year-old brother, has definitely been hard on him financially. About three years ago, I moved in with him in my deceased grandparents’ house while my dad and mom filed for a nasty divorce. It was only supposed to be temporary, but Evan refused to let me live with my mom – who was hardly home because she was zealous to her work. Evan wouldn’t even dare think of shipping me to live in a house with my dad’s boyfriend – who hated Evan and I for no apparent reason.

My grandparents’ house was one filled with memories – a safe haven when my parents had their huge divorce. I knew I had to grow up and help Evan with the costs when he implied that we should sell the house and move into an apartment and announced that he sold one of his cameras. There was absolutely no way I was going to sell my home and have my brother sell another one of babies.

“Uh, I love kids and would love to know more about how to deal with them,” I answered, although not entirely true. “I love to sing and my goal is to be on Broadway. If that doesn’t go so well, my second choice is to become an elementary teacher.”

“Oh, wow, I love your aspirations,” Natalia commented, placing her glass of water on her obviously expensive coffee table.

“We would love to hear you sing some day,” Paul stated, straightening his neatly pressed suit and giving me a big smile.

It was palpable that Natalia and Paul were very well off. Their house was beautiful, very spacious, and decorated with class – it looked as if the house came straight out of a magazine. Even if Paul didn’t share that he owned six car businesses in the state, you could tell they were filthy rich.

It was no wonder why they offered such a huge amount of money for babysitting their baby girl. However, I didn’t understand why I was the only one who applied for the job when the pay was tremendously huge for the type of job they were offering.