Quattro

Watching Paige argue with Maia was like watching cats and dogs fight.

When Paige was around, Maia turned even more mischievous and malevolence. It made you wonder whether or not she really was the devil’s spawn. Somehow, I managed to find this situation funny, especially when either one refused to back down.

One Direction is the best band in the world. You’re just deaf,” Maia stated, crossing her arms over her chest stubbornly.

Paige looked at her with equal persistence. “If I were deaf, I wouldn’t be listening to your annoying voice right now. In fact, I wish I were deaf right about now.”

“You know who has annoying voices? Maroon 5.”

“Oh, girl, you do not know music. Maroon 5 is obviously better than those pretty boys.”

“Their handsome boys, but you wouldn’t know because you have bad choices in everything!”

“You’re annoying, your opinions are annoying, and your music is annoying. Turn that sh – indig down because we’re trying to focus on our project,” Paige bluntly yelled over the blasting of “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction.

“You’re in my house so you should respect me,” Maia replied, stabbing her chest with her index finger.

“One, this is your parents house. Two, respect is a two way street so tell me why I should respect you when you don’t respect me? You have no ounce of respect in that tiny little body of yours.” When Maia threw a throw pillow at Paige’s face, Paige’s anger only grew more. “Oh diablos no! Did you just throw that at me?”

“Duh,” Maia emphasized, sounding as if she were talking to an airhead.

“You know what? One more time you throw a pillow at my face, step all over my white Chucks, and say that my eyes are too big for my face, I will personally come to your room at night when you’re asleep and set all your One Direction posters on fire or I will pull those curls of yours until your horns – “

“Paige!” I shrieked, looking up from my project paper.

Paige looked guilty, pointing a finger at Maia childishly. “But she made me do it!”

“Nuh uh,” Maia added, also pointing her finger at Paige. “She’s the one being extra mean.”

“It’s your fault I’m being mean!”

“No! It’s yours.”

“Your fault!”

“Nuh uh.”

“Yes.”

“Nuh uh.”

“Yes!”

“Nuh uh!”

“Ye – “

“Okay, enough!” I interjected, setting my pen and paper down on the coffee table. “Stop being rude, Maia, and stop being childish, Paige.”

“But – “ Paige started with wide, bewildered eyes.

“Enough,” I warned with finality.

Paige exhaled with frustration, throwing her hands in the air emphatically. She threw her own pen across the coffee table while her papers flew in a pile in front of her.

“This is the worst Friday in the history of Fridays. First, I have to deal with an annoying spoiled brat who has an ego the size of Texas,” Paige vented. Ignoring Maia’s question about the meaning of the word “ego” and her complaint, Paige went on. “Next, those two imbeciles didn’t show up to work on our project. They’re loco if they think we’re going to work our butts off so they could get a grade.”