Ventidue

NOT EDITED

_____________________________________________

I was probably more nervous than a long tailed cat in a room filled with rocking chairs.

Noah and I found ourselves staring at the Priestley household – a two story, average sized, white building with flowers adorning the window sills. The carport was empty, besides a bike that was said to belong to Brian.

Although my hand was slick with sweat, I grabbed Noah’s own and squeezed tightly. Noah returned the gesture and looked down at me with an uneasy frown.

Apparently, Nick’s homosexuality was a complete shock to Noah. Noah wasn’t angry. He was just sad – sad because his brother didn’t feel comfortable enough sharing that type of valuable information with him.

It took a lot of courage to come to Brian Priestley’s house. After all, he was the one true love of Nick Callaway and a guy who remained a mystery to many of Nick’s family and friends. For Noah, it was harder. It was harder because he felt that it was his duty to investigate his brother’s death and coming to a person who was equally, if not more, hurt than he was about the death of Nick was setting him up for an emotional day.

After twenty minutes of staring up at the lonely house, Noah finally pulled me along. He knocked on the dark varnished door. Noah’s hand squeezed mine in a vice grip as we waited anxiously for someone to answer the door.

A male around my age with blonde hair and blazing green eyes opened the door. He was incredibly handsome. However, his handsome was different from the masculine handsome. His hair was neatly gelled back, eyebrows were clean, shirt was neatly pressed, and his skin impeccably clear.

His eyes were shocked as he stared at Noah, mouth agape.

I forced a smile onto my face. “Hi, um, I’m Emma and this is Noah. We were wondering if someone by the name of Brian Priestley stayed here.”

“Yes? I mean, I’m B-Brian Priestley,” he replied, pulling his eyes away from Noah to look at me. Once again, they landed on Noah. “Noah Callaway.”

Noah looked down and cleared his throat. “We know about you and my brother’s … um, relationship and we just wanted to ask you a few questions.”

Brian looked wary, a frown permanently etched on his face. He looked like he was about to send us away, inching the door closed.

“Please! It will only take a second,” I pleaded. “I promise that we’re not here to inflict any pain on you. I know this is hard for you, but this also hard for Noah. We’re trying to find closure on Nick’s death. I’m sure you want that too.”

Usually, I wasn’t so pushy. I wasn’t even confident when it came to asking strangers questions on personal information. However, having Noah next to me with his hands slightly trembling in mine and the awareness that he needed answers for comfort was enough to push me beyond the boundary.

Brian looked stuck, glancing behind him and at us. Finally, after careful consideration, he let his guard down. “Okay. Come in.”