Diciotto

NOT EDITED *

________________________________________

I stared at the neon green post-it note over and over again.

It was difficult to process the information scrawled across it in black ink. The whole first block, I stared at it in fear and confusion. There were so many times when I wanted to close my psychology book, but my hands were shaking too much to shut it and hide the note like I’ve never came across it.

 All students in Psychology Education were assigned a textbook, but had to leave it in the bookshelf near the window. We hardly ever opened it, but we were assigned a textbook assignment for today’s lesson on post traumatic stress disorder. I grabbed my textbook without knowing that on the inside cover of my book, was a post-it that was intentionally put there for me to see.

 “Nick Callaway loved a girl in this class. She knew something. I hope you will find your answers soon.”

No matter how many times I reread the note, all the hairs on my body stood on end. Somebody knew that we were on the search for clues on Nick’s death. The only person I informed about our mission was Paige, but she was clearly surprised when I asked her if she planted it in my book.

Paige was completely clueless about Nick Callaway. She never even knew he existed or that Noah even had a brother until the news of Nick’s death. There was no way she knew that he had a romance with Chelsea Everheart when I haven’t had the time to discuss that piece of information with her.

Callum couldn’t be a suspect. As far as I knew it, Noah hasn’t told him he was on the hunt for who killed his brother. Callum wouldn’t even have given me a hint. He would’ve gone straight to his best friend himself. Why would he dish out secrets when I shouldn’t have anything to do with it?

I didn’t show Noah the note partly because I was keeping my distance from him and partly because I wanted to help him without having him push me away every time I tried. At first, I suspected that Noah was the one who left the note, but I came to revelation that he clearly didn’t want my help with this situation.

This also concluded that Nick Callaway did love Chelsea Everheart and although I was extremely grossed out and confused by it, it was the plain truth.

I didn’t complete my psychology assignment today as I blankly stared at the note. I contemplated what I should do next and whether or not diving into this was the smart thing to do.

Esto es una locura,” Paige muttered as she looked over my shoulder at the post-it. Everyone piled out of the room for break, including Callum. “What are you going to do?”

I shrugged, slightly freaking out now. “I-I don’t know!”

“Well, I’ll tell you what you can’t do. Back out. There’s no way you could back out. You need to go all FBI and find the hijo de puta that killed Nick!”

My eyebrows rose as I finally found the strength to shut the book. “I thought you were convinced that Noah was a murderer?”