Chapter 7 - Lost

Chapter 7 – Lost

I had walked around the station over ten times now and I was starting to realise what a stupid plan I had made up just to run. I should have thought it more thoroughly, taken money, clothes and food. When I thought of food my stomach grumbled all I had eaten today was the bag of crisps and they aren’t the most filling of foods. I looked down to the underground sign and shrugged; I hadn’t been down there yet. I descended down the mucky steps to the orange tunnel. A man sitting on the floor with a blanket wrapped around him was shouting at people to guide them to the correct underground. He looked up and smiled at me, creepy.

I carried on through the tunnels, slowly. I think I was annoying the people who were rushing past me to catch the subway –or tube- and finally got to the gates. People inserted their tickets, beeped some card and went through. I looked longingly at the gates hoping I could get through. I probably looked like a freak the way I was staring at the people going through the gates and the ones coming back, in the end I gave up and trekked back up to the main station. As I was getting towards the stairs the man was still sitting on the floor shouting. When I stared at him he gestured me to come over, I hesitated but went and stood in front of him.

“You need a ticket, girl?” he grunted.

I looked at him curiously before nodding slowly.

“I have  foue that I have found today, take your pick. I suggest you take the week ticket that allows you to travel all round London zones.” He smiled holding it out “an excellent find if I do say so myself.”

I reached out and took the ticket from his grimy hands. “Thank you.”

“No problem.” He winked at me then turned round to start shouting at people. I must have looked confused as I walked away back up to the main station. I had a death grip on the ticket it was my only way to get around until I figured out a better plan. When I looked up to the train times, I wanted to leave on the next possible train; I headed to platform 4.

I put my ticket through and the gate opened, finally something about this day was going to plan! Quickly taking a peek at the train station behind me I saw two figures staring at me in their suits, they could have passed as business men but I knew better. Before I even looked away my legs had started a sprint for the train carriage. I jumped on shutting the door behind me. In the tight packed train some people looked at me curiously were as others didn’t seem fazed by a girl running on the train probably looking like a deer caught in headlights.

I weaved through the people to the next carriage, the train started to depart from the station; I hid myself in between two men. Keeping my back to anyone else on train, glancing at the carriage doors every time they opened. I took deep slow breaths trying to regain my mind set. I thought through what was happening to me: I was on a train with gang men chasing me.

Splendid.

After a while the train stopped at the first station and quite a few got off making the carriage emptier and less places to hide, I went into the next which still was packed but I manage to get a seat near the window.

I was too focused on the view outside and how different England was to America I didn’t realise people had taken a seat by me.