Chapter 9

"Are you guys together now?" I wait by the front of the car for Allison to grab her bag from the backseat. "Or are you taking it slow?"

Allison flicks a strand of hair out of her face. "I don't really know to be honest. We are going to hang out tomorrow." She beams.

"Hang out where?" I push off of the car and fall into step with her.

"We haven't decided yet." Allison says as we walk up the sidewalk to the front of the school.

"Is there anything to really do in this town?" I ask, letting my eyes float across the green grass, where some kids are sitting.

Allison shrugs her shoulders. "I figured he would know a good place- What happened?" She points to a yellow bus near the side of the school, surrounded by cop cars.

I stop in my tracks. Blood is smeared across the bus, like someone was trying to escape. Various parts of the bus have scratch marks and dents. The back door has been completely ripped off. Caution tape is surrounding the bus to keep away anyone other than police or investigators. My thoughts immediately go back to what Derek said this weekend. Is this what he meant? Did Scott do this?

"I hope no one got hurt." Allison whispers, eyes glued to the crime scene.

Allison isn't oblivious to the horrendous amount of blood on the bus, she has always had a big heart and it hurts her to think that anyone, even a stranger, got hurt. My heart pangs at the thought of someone having to go through all of this. I don't know what happened, but someone seemed to have been desperate to get away.

The first bell rings and I feel a hand grab my arm, a hand that does not belong to my sister. I jerk my eyes away from the scene happening in front of me to the person urging me to walk in the school. My eyes focus on a chest and I look up to see my best friend, Danny.

"C'mon. We need to get to our lockers." Danny releases my arm as he turns to the entrance of the school.

I cast one last look at the crime scene before following Allison and Danny. "What happened?" I squeeze in the space between them on our way through the double doors.

"A guy was attacked by some kind of animal on the bus last night." Danny informs us. "Some of the teachers arrived this morning and saw the bus just like that."

"Who was the guy?" Allison looks past me to where Danny is.

"No one really knows." Danny shrugs, dodging an underclassmen in the middle of the hallway.

"I hope he's okay." I murmur, concerned for the wellbeing of the victim. I wonder if he has family that is concerned for him?

"I- Oh!" Allison stumbles back when she collides into none other than Scott McCall. Her books tumble out of her hands and to the ground. "You scared the hell out of me." Allison chuckles, bending down for her books.

Instead of being a gentleman and picking the books up, Scott just gazes at Allison, like he is relieved she is here. "You're okay." He breathes in relief.

I glance at Danny to see if he has any idea why Scott is acting odd. I still don't complete trust him ever since Derek warned me about the other night. Danny shrugs his shoulders and checks the time on his phone before pointing in the direction of his locker. We will just meet back up for our first class together.

"Once my heart starts beating again, yeah..." Allison jokes until she notices the massive grin plastered on Scott's face. "What?"

Scott continues to smile at my sister. "I'm just really happy to see you."

"Attention, students, this is your principal." Our principal's voice comes on over the intercoms. The chatter in the hallway stops to listen to what he has to say. "I know you're all wondering about the incident that occurred last night to one of our buses. While the police work to determine what happened, classes will proceed as scheduled."