Chapter 16

> I sink further down in the leather seat, my hand partially covering my face. About ten minutes ago, I realized that I had my phone on silent all day. I was expecting to have a thousand missed calls from my parents, so I was relatively pleased when I only saw two missed calls from Danny.

> Unfortunately, by the time we arrived back at the school, the parking lot was filled with parents and students. Tonight is the parent/teacher conference.

> For the last two minutes, Derek and I have been hiding out in his car, hidden by the shadows cast upon us. Danny's voice mails told me that he told my parents that I've been hanging out with him, when he saw them earlier. They must have believed him because I haven't received a single call or message from them.

> "Oh, god." I groan when I see my dad put his phone up to his ear. "Please be calling Allison."

> My phone buzzes on my lap with a picture of my dad on the screen. Derek snickers, earning a glare from me. I slide my fingers underneath my phone and pick it up, pressing the answer button.

> "Hey, dad!" I chirp into the phone.

> Dad stops walking and stands in front of the school. "Where are you?"

> "I'm on my way." I sink lower in my seat.

> "Really?" He asks in a disbelieving voice. "Because Danny told us you were hanging out with him today, but I just saw him walk out of the school with his parents."

> I slap the palm of my hand to my forehead. "I went inside to try to find you guys, but I remembered I left my phone in his car, so I went back outside to get it. Did I miss the meeting?"

> "Don't worry about that." Dad dismisses the topic. "Have you heard from your sister?"

> "Uh, no. Why?"

> "She skipped school."

> Unable to control it, I snort in laughter. Allison is not one to skip school, well, neither am I, but it's kind of funny to think we both did it the same day. "Why would Allison skip school?"

> "We don't know. Just get back to the school."

> I glance over at Derek, frowning. "I'm leaving Danny's car now." Dad hangs up at that and I sit back up in a normal position. "I gotta go, but thank you for today."

> Not giving him a chance to say anything, I scramble out of his car and walk towards the school. My parents' backs are towards me, giving me the perfect opportunity to make it look like I really did come from Danny's car. On my way over to them, I quickly text Danny to let him know what just happened. I don't need him to come out and have a completely different story than me.

> Mom whirls around at the sound of my shoes slapping against the concrete. "There you are." She grabs ahold of my elbow, leading me over to a where dad is pacing with his phone to his ear.

> "Allison, answering your cell phone will make discussing the terms of your grounding much easier. Well, call me back before your punishment reaches biblical proportions." Dad says, hanging up.

> "Kate hasn't heard from her either." Mom drops my arm.

> My head darts to the two of them, not making a sound. How did Allison skip and get caught when, as far as anyone knows, I've been hanging out with Danny?

> Dad runs a hand over his head. "She doesn't do this." He turns to me. "Has she talked to you?"

> "No, I haven't seen her all day." I answer, honestly. "We rode to school together, but that was it."

> A dark haired lady meanders over to us. "Excuse me, you're not Allison's parents, are you? I'm Scott's mom, and I hate to say it, but he's not answering his phone either." She grips her phone in her hand tighter.

> Oh. That makes more sense now. Allison would never skip school by herself. We are way too much alike at times. Today, we both skipped school for cute guys. Unfortunately, Allison got caught.

> "You're his mother?" Dad practically sneers.

> "Dad." I say before earning a pointed look from mom. I press my lips together.

> Mrs. McCall glances at me with soft eyes before looking back at my dad. "Funny how you say that like it's an accusation."

> "Well, I wouldn't claim it as a source of pride, since he basically kidnapped my daughter today." Dad replies back.

> Mrs. McCall raises an eyebrow in disbelief. "How do we know skipping school wasn't your daughter's idea?"

> Dad squares his shoulders, prepared to strike back. "My daughter-" He looks off towards the parking lot to see Scott and Allison headed our way. "-is right there. Let's go."

> This is not going to end well.

> The three of them stalk over to the two teenagers, sharing livid expressions. I weakly smile at Allison, letting her know that she is in huge trouble.

> "Where exactly have you been?" Mrs. McCall snaps at her son.

> Scott sighs. "Nowhere, mom."

> Mom glares at Allison, fire in her eyes. "You're in big trouble."

> "Nowhere, meaning not at school." Scott's mom concludes.

> Scott winces. "Kinda."

> Allison steps forward. "It's not his fault. It's my birthday, and we were-"

> "Allison. In the car." Dad orders in a strict voice.

> I grab Allison's wrist about to pull her away from our fuming parents. There's no need to make them any madder.

> Out of nowhere, people start to scream around the parking lot. All of our heads snap in that direction, confused and curious. People scatter off in different direction. Scott wanders off with Allison right behind him. Dad saunters forward, a gun in his hands. My mind ponders the thought of where he was hiding it until I hear another scream, bringing me back to reality.

> I push past a swarm of people in the parking lot, eyes searching for whatever is causing all of this. A squealing of tires jerks my attention behind me. I choke on air when I see a dark car headed straight for my sister in the middle of the road. "Allison!"

> Her head whips in my direction before turning to see the car. Just before the car can hit her, Scott pushes her out of the car's pathway, both of them falling to the grass out of harm's way.

> I sprint to the two of them, our parents right behind me. "Allison, are you okay?!" I drop to my knees next to her.

> Allison breathes heavily. "Y-Yeah."

> I lunge forward, wrapping my arms around her. "Thank you, Scott." I smile at the curly haired boy.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Author's Note:

This is short, I know. I just didn't want to have this part be with what I have planned next, so I decided to just make them separate. It's easier this way and you get a faster update.

Ignore the arrows for every paragraph. I was trying to see if I could indent a paragraph this way since I'm on my phone. I seriously need a laptop.

I'll be working on the next chapter and it's going to be really good. Kate will be in it.

Anyways, I hoped you liked it. Sorry it was unbelievable short, but the next chapter will make up for it. :)

Question: Do you think Clara will attend Night School? If so, why do you think she will be there and what would you want to happen to her?

So, yeah!