Chapter 23

"He risked his own life for you and instead of thanking him like you should have, you broke up with him because you felt like you couldn't trust him!" I scream back at Allison. We've been fighting the past five minutes and she believes that she did that right thing, whereas I think she was stupid.

   "He's not the only one I can't trust!" Allison throws her bag back on her bed. "You have your own secrets, too. You always promised that you would tell me everything. Now, I feel like I don't even know you!"

   I bite my cheek, anger flowing through my body. "Why can't you wrap your head around the fact that everyone is trying to protect you?"

   Allison steps back with her hands pointed in my direction. "I don't need protection. God, you sound just like dad!"

   "I'm doing what's best." I speak through clenched teeth.

   "No, you're not! You're keeping secrets just like Scott! The only difference is that I can't break up with you because you're my sister!" Allison forces her fingers in her hair.

   "How about I make it easier on you then?" I narrow my brown eyes. "I'll stay out of your way and you won't have to deal with me anymore. I don't want someone who is ungrateful in my life anyways! You're too damn selfish! People are risking their lives to protect you and you just hate them because they aren't telling you why. Just be thankful that you have so many people in your life that care about you! But, congratulations, you just lost one!"

   "I don't need you in my life!"

   Aunt Kate and Dad run in the room. "Hey! Hey! Stop!" Aunt Kate steps in front of me and  wraps an arm around my shoulders, pulling me away from Allison.

   Dad steps in between us. "What the hell is going on in here?!" He bellows.

   My chest rises up and down, rapidly. I ignore Aunt Kate holding me back. She must know that I have my anger held back by a tiny thread. How can my sister be like this? "I have a sister that only cares about herself."

   "At least I don't keep secrets from everyone!" Allison shouts from around dad. "People can actually trust me!"

   Dad uses his right hand to push against her shoulder. "Enough! I don't know what's gotten into the two of you."

   Allison heavily glares, her small hands clenched in tight fists. "Just stay away from me. I'm done with all of your lies."

   I yank Aunt Kate's arm off of me. "I will! One last person to worry about! Something will happen to you and you'll wish I was there to save you, but guess what? I won't be there."

   Aunt Kate forcefully drags me out of Allison's bedroom by my upper arm. She leads me down the stairs and stops for a second to grab her car keys before leaving the house. Her grip loosens just enough for me to get out of her grasp. I need to get out of here. I just- I need Derek.

   "Get in the car!" Aunt Kate orders.

   "No." I open the backseat and pull my bow and arrows out when I see them inside. The arrows sits between my shoulder blades as I walk off towards the woods. I don't have Derek. I need to get this anger out another way. I used to do this when I was in competitions. "I need to be alone."

   "Get in the car, Allison!" Dad's booming voice says from behind me. "Clara! Where are you going?"

   "Running away from your problems won't get you anywhere!" Allison yells.

   In one swift motion, I draw back an arrow and point it at my twin sister. Allison's face pales. Only fifty feet lies between us. My hands shake, but I take a few breathes to calm myself down. I would never shoot her. I just need her to stop yelling at me. I can't handle all of this. There's too much going on in my life.