Chapter 26

Danny surprised me by bringing me to the lacrosse game. After, we are going back to his house to work on the project. Love you. I text this to my mom along with one of the several selfies I took with Danny before we all went out separate ways. My mom won't believe me unless I have actual proof. Danny agreed to go along with my plan of saying we are working on a project if anyone asks.
   Once we left Stiles' house, I was forced to sit in the backseat of his jeep, while Derek was lucky enough to sit up front. We pulled in to the Beacon Hills Hospital parking lot when Scott called Stiles. They've been talking back and forth, and I've been so absorbed it getting my mom to believe I was at the game that I haven't paid any attention to what Stiles has been saying. I slide my phone back in my back pocket as I listen in to what Stiles is going on about.

   "I know. Look, if you see my dad, can you tell him– tell him I'll be there, I'll just be a little bit late, okay? All right, thanks." Stiles sighs, hanging up the call.

   "You're not gonna make it." Derek states being the debbie downer on the situation.

   "I know." Stiles rubs his hands over his hair.

   "And you didn't tell him about his mom, either." 

   I lean close to both of them. "Scott doesn't need to know about that until we find out the truth. If his mom really is the one that sent that text then we'll tell him, but we don't know for sure yet. He doesn't need anymore added stress."

   "By the way, one more thing." Derek turns to face Stiles.
   "Yeah." Stiles barely has the chance to talk because Derek latches his hand around the back of Stiles' neck and slams his head on the steering wheel. "Oh, God! What the hell was–"

   "Derek!" I shout at him, appalled. I get that Derek can have some anger issues from time to time, but that was completely uncalled for.

   "You know what that was for. Go. Go!" Derek points at the hospital.

   I clench up my fist and punch Derek in the arm with as much force as I can muster. "Stop being such a damn sourwolf."

   Nervously, I wrap my hand around Stiles' wrist to keep him close to me. Something doesn't feel right and the hospital is giving me major creeps right now. Derek sent the two of us inside to find his Uncle's nurse. I don't completely understand why we are looking for her, but that may have been because I zoned out when he was talking to Stiles. 

   Now, Stiles and I are searching for the nurse, Jennifer, but she seems to be nowhere in sight. We've even asked a few other nurses and all of them have said that they haven't seen her tonight. One said that she is supposed to be working tonight and that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

   I take my phone back out to call Derek. Something's not right. He answers on the first ring. "Yeah, we can't find her."

   "Look, ask for Jennifer. She's been looking after my uncle." 

   "Derek, we already asked some nurses and they said she hasn't been in tonight." I follow Stiles down a hallway to an empty room. Wait. This is the room his Uncle is supposed to be in. "Well, your Uncle isn't here either."

   "What?" 

   "He's not here. He's gone, Derek." I sigh in to the phone. 

   Derek sucks in a sharp intake of breath. "Clara, get out of there right now–it's him! He's the Alpha! Get out!"

   My phone slips between my fingers and the screen shatters on the floor in tiny pieces. Stiles watches my face as Derek shouts my name through my now halfway broken phone. Derek's Uncle is the alpha. The Alpha is still inside of the hospital. We need to get out of here now.