Happiest man alive

Jade had wanted to question her mother about her meddling after work, but when she got home and noticed how empty her mother's look was, she kept her mouth shut instead. She tried to lighten the mood by talking about what they'd wear. Their belongings which they could take were delivered that morning apparently and were now in boxes all over the place. Her mother just had a lot of clothes and shoes. They went through the boxes together and her mom found the perfect dress she'd wear.

"What are you going to wear?" Her mother asked her.

"I'm thinking a silver dress, it will go with whatever Mark is wearing."

That made her mother's eyes widen and light up, "You're going together with Mark?"

She folded her arms across her chest, raising a sharp eyebrow at her, "Mom, you're the one who called Mark and asked him about it. I thought you were just acquaintances."

"We are, but he took my call anyway. Such a good boy he is."

She rolled her eyes at her mother. If she knew the truth, if she knew Mark was the one who wanted to take her house she'd call him something different. Jade was also sure Mark was the one who handed the cops their lead. Not to mention that he only wanted to marry her to get back at her father. She wasn't close to her father though, if he knew that he'd lose interest for sure. So she'd keep that from him for now.

"Mom, everyone is flawed. I'm sure Mark has some skeletons in his closet."

"Don't be so negative, Jade." Her mother started to unpack a few boxes which made her anxious, "Just because someone is doing well in life doesn't mean they're hiding skeletons."

"Dad-"

"Arthur is innocent!" Her mother told her firmly, "He didn't do anything wrong."

"Mom, he isn't getting out of prison." She told her mother quietly, "All evidence is pointing toward him. I had a talk with dad's lawyers this afternoon and one of them told me dad is probably cutting a deal."

"He is?"

Jade nodded, "An innocent man wouldn't do that. Do you ever talk to dad about anything deeper than what you'd like for your birthday or Christmas? I've known he was doing bad things since I was a kid. It surprised me you didn't know anything. Were you really that oblivious?"

"Jade..."

"Mom, seriously, I want to know."

Her mother moved her things to the bedroom and Jade followed. Once inside she kicked her heels off and went to her closet to grab a pair of joggers and a t-shirt. Her mother was laying out her outfit while she continued their conversation.

"I didn't have much when I met your father. Arthur promised me the world when I got pregnant of you. Promised himself to give you and me a better life than we had." She glanced at Jade while she was putting away her black dress, feeling a lot more comfortable now that she was wearing a tee and joggers, "He gave us a better life, Jade."

She wanted to tell her mother that it didn't matter if they had very little, as long as they were together they'd be fine. But she knew that wasn't the truth. She got an education because of her father and he always tried to give her the best of everything. She was just reluctant after she found out he wasn't the superhero she believed he was. He broke her heart and she ran away. She knew now that her mother never stopped seeing him as a superhero. She could understand now why her mother was so torn up about the man she loved.

"Mark is picking me up at eight-thirty. Do you want to tag along with us?"

Her mother brushed her off, "No, I'm not going to be the third wheel. I'll ask a friend if I can tag along with her. I'm sure it will be fine."