Change of heart

That weekend Jade had dinner together with Mark and her mother. All the way through dinner Mark was charming her mother, making the woman fall madly in love with him. She already liked him because of the millions on his bank account, but now she also thought he was the most kind-hearted and sincere guy on the planet. If she only knew.

"Anyone want another glass?" Jade asked reaching for the opened wine bottle and pouring herself yet another glass She needed the rich drink to sooth her. Letting her keep her words to herself so she wouldn't upset either Mark or her mother.

"No, I'm good." Her mother brushed her off.

Mark met her gaze, his smile not quite reaching his eyes, "I'm good too." His eyes travelled to the glass in her hand, "You have an early morning tomorrow." Mark reminded her.

They both knew she was a lightweight, easily knocked out by the alcohol. That didn't stop her from taking a leisurely sip, daring her fiancé to say anything else. He was smart enough to keep his words to himself though. He didn't say a word, but he didn't stop his subtle glaring either.

"You okay, Jade?" Her mother asked, tearing her gaze away from Mark for the first time.

"I'm good."

Camilla didn't seem to notice the lack of enthusiasm in her tone, she was too busy enjoying her food and drink. Jade couldn't blame her though, Betty had made an amazing meal. An one-pot pasta with the most spicy tomato sauce she ever tasted, but didn't mind having again. The pasta was good, but the hot brownie with vanilla ice-cream was what rescued her awful night.

"I need to ask Betty this recipe." Camilla gestured to her brownie, "It's amazing."

"It is." Jade smiled.

"Remind me to ask her about it the next time I see her." Camilla told her daughter.

"Sure."

Camilla reached for her daughter, placing her hand gently on her arm, "Your wedding is pretty soon. Just a few more months. Are you excited?"

"I'm good."

She looked strangely at her daughter, but brushed it off as she continued her talk about the preparations. Everything was going according to plan, all they had to do was show up and get married.

"You'll make a beautiful bride." Camilla told her daughter, she flickered her eyes to Mark, "Right?"

Mark's eyes softened, his lips curling up to an actual warm smile, "She'll make a beautiful bride." He agreed.

After desert Mark arranged a car for Camilla to take her home. He was walking her out while Jade cleaned up the table. Just like Mark told her, she was a lightweight. She was a bit dizzy, but she managed to clean up without breaking anything.
Jade was heading the bedroom when she heard Mark approach her. He grabbed her arm when she kept moving, making her stop in her tracks. She didn't turn around to face him, so he gently spun her around.

"You've been acting weird since your meeting with your father. Are you still worried about me?"

She wanted to say flat out no, but that would be a lie. She was worried about Mark, she was worried about a lot of things. Mostly about making decisions which would not only ruin her life, but also her mother's. Hearing her mother be so excited about their wedding hurt. Especially since Jade had doubts. She knew she couldn't back down, but she didn't promise him anything long-term either. If she didn't feel right about their marriage she could always file for a divorce after a few months. She forced a smile upon her face and shook her head.