Organized crime

Like promised Jade went to see her father the next day. Mark wasn't happy when she announced she was going to be late for dinner that day because she was going to meet with her father. But he didn't stop her either. He knew she had made up her mind and there was nothing he could say to change her mind. He just had to let her be.
Now she was sitting across her father and felt her heart squeeze painfully seeing the smile spread across his face. He was happy to see her, so happy his eyes got teary. It made her feel guilty, so fucking guilty it hurt. Without thinking she reached for his hand and placed hers on top of his, showing him affection without making a scene.

"Your mom told me about the house."

She pulled away and shifted in her seat, swallowing nervously, "What did she tell you about the house?"

"Jade, look at me."

She couldn't look at him though. He knew she sold her soul to give her mother that house back.

"Jade." Her father's tone got sterner.

She flickered her eyes to him, "Dad...She needed the house back. You know that."

"Marrying Mark to get that house back wasn't the way." He reached for her hands and tightly held them in his, leaning forward he lowered his voice, "You think he got that far in his career because of his hard work?" The look in her father's eyes gave her the answer to that question, "He put me here not because of his grudge toward me." He squeezed her hands, "He is bad news, Jade. Don't trust that man. He moves around the same circles as me." He scoffed, "I'm sure he moved up the ladder now."

"Moved up?"

"Hostile takeover." His eyes flickered to the guard who looked straight ahead, "You need to get away from him. I asked a guy to contact you. Have you met anyone this week?"

"I met Brad last night, but he insisted on seeing Mark." She couldn't quite comprehend what her father was telling her or she just didn't want to comprehend it, "Dad tell me what's going on."

"Mark was setting up a trap to get rid of me."

"Why would he do that?" Jade didn't want to believe her father but she knew it could be true, "If he wanted to be the head of your organization he didn't need to ask me to marry him."

"It's about showing people he completely destroyed me while my daughter is, you know, tied to him."

She knew her father wanted to keep things clean because it was embarrassing to the both of them to get into details. But she knew exactly what he meant by that. Leaning back into her chair she let her hands drop to her side and scanned her father's face. He looked sincerely worried about her. It made her wonder about Mark. She knew he showed her he cared a few times, but it could be an act. It was a matter of choosing family or the man she was marrying.

"Who is the guy who you send after me?"

"He works for Mark."

The guard by the door cleared his throat, letting them know they needed to wrap up the conversation.

"What is his name, dad?"

"Scott Taylor."

"So then who is Brad?"

"Miss Sparks." The guard flashed her a stern look, letting her know her time was up.

She got to her feet, her eyes flickering to her dad's hand which reached out to grab her wrist, keeping her in place.

"I don't know who Brad is, but since you're staying with that guy right now you need to do your research. Keep yourself safe. I'll do what I can on my part, but you need to be smart about this."