Mark's reluctance

Jade glanced at her soon to be husband who was sitting across her at the dining table, having breakfast together with her. It was a first and quite frankly it made her uncomfortable. She didn't know how to behave. Since she moved in together with him she was always on her own in the morning. Betty was there, but the older woman knew when to give a person their space.
Jade reached for her cup of tea and sipped it, pretending to be focused on her plate filled with two pieces of toast and a grapefruit. It wasn't a lot, but she wasn't that hungry this morning.

"How about I drop you off at the shop?"

Jade nearly choked in her tea, she placed the cup down and coughed a few times. Trying to even her breathing again. Mark quietly poured her a glass of water from the pitcher and handed it to her.

"Excuse me?"

He didn't seem bothered with her being so shocked, he flickered his eyes back to his phone and scrolled down again. Reaching for his cup of coffee and sipping it.

"Thought since we're both going out at the same time it would be more convenient if I also drop you off."

She cleared her throat, "Are you also picking me up afterwards?"

He didn't look up as he answered her, "Of course."

"Then it's fine. I'd love a ride to work."

"Great."

He didn't sound excited about it, but she figured he wasn't that into showing his emotions. He was more reserved and that was perfectly fine. She wasn't that loud either. With a mother like hers it was a good thing to be more reserved. It kept you sane.

"Have you thought about what you're going to do about your father?"

"I think I'll pay him a visit."

Mark glanced at her, "You sure?"

It really confused her that he kept asking her that. She knew her father wasn't the best dad in the world, but he was still her father. He wasn't going anywhere and neither was she. She figured the least she could do was listen to whatever he had to say. She owed him that much.

"He is still my father."

"True."

He didn't elaborate on that, but she figured he had nothing more to say. She pretty much made up her mind already.

"What time should I pick you up?" Mark asked, changing the subject.

"Seven-thirty."

"I'll be there." He promised.

After that they ate breakfast in silence, but she didn't mind. She focused entirely on eating without spilling anything. She drank another cup of peppermint tea and collected her things while Betty cleared the table. She put her heels back on and followed Mark out of the apartment. He placed an arm around her waist, keeping her close as they walked to his car. She knew he made sure she wouldn't break her neck while they travelled together, but he had nothing to worry about. She could run marathons with her heels. She never tried, but she was sure she could.

"I don't feel comfortable with you walking around in those heels when I'm not there."

"Why? Whenever we met I always wore basically the same outfit." She gestured to her outfit, "Black dress and high heels."

"Is that your uniform?"

"A polished outfit is the uniform."

Mark helped her into his car and walked around the hood, taking a seat behind the wheel. His car was nice, it smelled like he just bought the car and never used it before. She figured he didn't use his car that much. But she liked it. It also fit him quite well. Sleek and luxurious.