Our family

Jade was having dinner with her husband at their regular restaurant, enjoying small talk like how things were at the office and what she had been doing all day. It was their quiet time alone while being out. She enjoyed it, especially since her nosy mother didn't mingle herself into their conversation. She still didn't talk to Camilla, mainly because she was done with all the gossip and meddling of other people. Her marriage with Mark was her business and everyone else had no say whatsoever. It was hard on Camilla, she could tell. But she wouldn't let the woman push her over. This time she'd be stronger and she didn't have to do it alone. Mark would be right beside her, holding her hand and encouraging her when she felt like crumbling down.
Jade reached for her glass of water and sipped from it, ignoring the amused look her husband flashed her. Not wanting him to enjoy the situation that much she kicked him under the table, pretending not to notice a thing when he bowed his head and rubbed his leg to ease the pain.

"Seriously?" He asked annoyed.

She feigned surprise, "What?"

Straightening in his seat he narrowed his eyes on her, "You're supposed to be more mature than that Jade, especially now."

"Now?" She asked, "For now it's still just the two of us." She reminded him.

His eyes glistered amusingly, "Just a few months, they will fly by, trust me."

Jade placed her glass down and eyed the dessert the waitress placed in front of her. A chocolate cake with whip cream. It looked delicious and she couldn't wait to dig in. Reaching for her fork she was about to take a bite, but froze mid bite when Scott appeared at their table, grinning at them.

"If it isn't my favorite couple."

Jade rolled her eyes, "You ruined the moment."

"You wanted some alone time with your cake?" Scott asked amused.

She didn't find it funny since she actually did wanted to have a private moment with her cake. Ignoring Scott she heard him chuckle, finding the entire thing even funnier. Mark across her shifted in his seat and shifted his attention to his friend.

"What's wrong?"

Scott flickered his eyes to Mark and straightened up, "Nothing, why do you always assume something is wrong when we run into each other?" Scott folded his arms across his chest, causing his jacket to tighten around his arms, "Do you distrust everyone in your life?"

Mark reached for his glass of wine and sipped it, "Not everyone." He gestured to Jade with his glass, "She is the one person in my life who I'd turn my back to without fearing for my life."

She smiled, but didn't mingle in Mark's conversation with his friend. Instead she focused on eating her cake without looking like she didn't eat for days.

"Whatever." Scott smiled, "I'm actually meeting someone as well. Just came over to say hello to the lovely Jade here. I couldn't give a fuck about you."

Jade laughed and ignored the glare she and Scott received, "You're on a date?"

"No, having dinner with someone from my hometown." Scott pointed nonchalantly to his table, "Anyway, have a goodnight Jade."

As Scott walked back to his table Jade met her husband's gaze and had to press her lips together so she wouldn't burst out in laughter. Mark looked adorable when he was pouting. She knew he wouldn't let Scott get away with teasing him like that. He was planning something already and she had a feeling Scott didn't want to find out how Mark would retaliate.

"Come on, he was just messing with you. We both know Scott loves you."

"I know he'd never go there, but I hate how familiar you two are with each other."