Distraction

A few weeks later Jade and Mark said their vows in front of their closest friends and relatives. Like promised her mother had organized a small and intimate wedding. Jade figured her husband made sure Camilla understood she needed to listen to their wishes. Mark after all wanted a small wedding too.

"What's wrong?" Mark asked her quietly.

They were seated in the backseat of a car, heading back to Mark's penthouse. Jade was lost in her mind and her husband noticed. She couldn't break free though. Without her knowledge or her mom's, the guy who her dad asked to watch over her appeared. Scott Taylor. He was apparently Mark's right hand. While everyone tried to talk to Mark, Scott asked of her to meet him in her dad's office. He told her things about her husband which made her want to run, but she couldn't. Her mom was too deep into it. Like hell she'd leave her mom to fend for herself. So she decided to stay beside her husband while Scott watched over them. At least he promised he would. Scott's appearance did mean that her father had been right about Mark all along. Mark did have underworld ties and according to Scott he did provide his close friends at the station evidence they needed to lock Arthur away.

She glanced at her husband, "I was just thinking."

"You seemed far away."

"How did you meet Scott?"

He frowned, probably confused by her question which came out of the blue.

"Scott?"

She nodded, "Yeah, he is your closest friend, right?"

His lips curled up to a smirk, "Should I be worried that you're that interested in Scott? I did notice you two slipping away at the reception."

"He is your closest friend."

Mark chuckled, "Scott and I met four years ago. He works for an ad agency and ended up working on one of my projects. We've been friends ever since."

She was certain her father made sure Mark and Scott met. It also meant that Scott had been spying on Mark for years. Her father should have seen Mark's betrayal coming. Next time she paid him a visit she'd ask him about it. She didn't dare to spend more private time with Scott since Mark even though he joked about it, seemed worried.

"So it was fate."

"I've told you before, I don't believe in faith. We were just fortunate that we got along."

"I guess."

She tried to relax when he suddenly placed his hand on top of hers. Thankfully he didn't notice her discomfort.

"Your mother did a wonderful job."

She couldn't agree more, "She did. I'm also glad she kept it small just like I asked of her." She glanced at Mark, "I have a feeling you have something to do with it."

Mark tightened his grip on her hand, "I just told her I felt the same way about the wedding as you."

***

Jade was getting ready for bed while Mark was answering some emails on his laptop in bed. She dreaded going out because it was their wedding night. She knew Mark wouldn't pressure her into anything, but she still felt awkward. Patting on her night serum she ran her fingers through her hair to fix it and left the bathroom.
Mark was still working, she thanked the lord he was a workaholic. Crawling into bed beside him, she rolled to her side and faced him.

"You beat?"

She actually was, "Yeah."

Softly running his fingers through her hair he flashed her a smile and focused back on his screen, "Night, Jade."