The competition

Three weeks later Jade moved into Mark's penthouse. To her surprise he took the day off to help her settle in. She figured he'd ask his staff to take care of it, but apparently he thought she was worth it to invest his time in. She didn't want to think much of it, but her mother told her it was big. She was currently in the bedroom making sure Jade's clothing was installed into the walk in closet which was gigantic and consisted of Mark's awesome suits, shirts and shoes. She was standing in the living room staring at Mark who was going through her three boxes.

"Is this all you have?" He asked, getting to his feet to meet her gaze.

"Yes."

"Your life fits into three boxes?"

"I own more make-up and clothing than anything else."

"And these boxes mostly consist of books."

"And important documents." She corrected him.

He turned to the housekeeper who worked for him from Monday till Friday. Her name was Betty and she was around her mother's age and she was lovely.

"Can you take care of these books?"

"Yes." Betty turned to look at her, "Honey, what do you want for lunch?"

She met Betty that morning but the woman already treated her like she was one of her own, like she had lived in that house for ages. She loved that.

"I don't know, what's Mark having?"

Betty snorted, "Mark will be having what you're having."

Beside her Mark smirked, "Will he now?"

Betty threw him a look which told him enough. Mark didn't say anything else and focused on her boxes instead, "Didn't you have any furniture you wanted to keep with you?" He asked.

"I stored what I wanted to keep at my parents' house."

He didn't seem to like that, "Jade, there is plenty of room for your stuff. There is no need to keep it stored at your parents' house."

She knew he got what it meant for her to have her stuff stored at some other place. He couldn't convince her to change her mind though. Unlike her mother she didn't believe in happily ever after love stories. Life had its up and downs and she knew sometimes things could go horribly wrong. She wanted to be prepared for whatever life would throw at her.

"It's fine, mom doesn't mind at all."

"Your mother isn't thinking clearly right now."

She feigned offense but she knew he was right. Her mother was in denial when it came to her father's situation and when it came to her situation her mother was seeing the world through pink glasses.

"You take that back." She told him and turned to Betty who was collecting a stack of books, "I'll help you with that. I also have some files which I need to store."

"Follow me, we'll get this done within the hour."

"If you just show me where I can store my books you can continue with your cooking."

Betty took the lead, heading to Mark's office where a wall of floor to ceiling bookcases were placed on the left side of the wall. Comfy chairs placed in front of them with a soft looking rug beneath them. It was a nice reading nook, but she knew she'd never read her books there. It was his place. She rather not invade his place if she didn't have to.

"There is plenty of space for your books. I'll bring over the rest of it while you organize your things. You want a cup of tea or something else while you're here?"