Chapter 2: Distraction

"Good morning, Mr. Bryant." My makeup assistant said as she greeted me with a cup of coffee.

"Lorraine, what did I tell you about that? Call me Jason!"

"Sorry! I just feel more professional calling you by your last name, ya' know?" She said, grinning.

Lorraine was a petite blonde in her middle 20s. She started working here about a year ago. She does a pretty decent job. Her true skills are shown on the women though since I don't really wear makeup on set.

I walked down to the set and saw Lamar, an old buddy from college. We were able to get jobs at the same place, doing the same job.

"Morning, Lamar." I gave him a hand slap.

"What's up man? Damn, you look really tired."

"I know. I've got a lot on my mind." I sighed and sat down in my seat with the cup of coffee.

"You might want to get Lorraine to freshen you up. There's bags forming under your eyes, man." He said laughing.

"Shut up and read your script, two minute man!"

"Aw, how you gonna' do that? That was below the belt!"

I laughed as I reminisced on the time that Lamar had invited one of his "lady friends" to his dorm. He had been bragging the whole day about how he was going to get some that night. Unfortunately, the only thing he got was his feelings hurt and a door slammed in his face.

I heard the whole conversation because I was in the room next to his. She was yelling at him talking about how he couldn't "get it or keep it up" and that he was better off with a sock and some lotion. I could've sworn I saw him crying as she was leaving, but then again it could just be my imagination.

I chuckled. "You'll be alright."

"Twenty minutes and we're gonna' start filming guys." The cameraman said as he passed by our table.

We nodded.

"Since you wanna' talk about me, how about we talk about you? How are you and Cindy? Did you tell her about the kid yet?"

I sighed, remembering my troubles that were not going to go away anytime soon. "Not yet."

"What you waitin' for!" He said, his country accent flaring.

"I don't know. I'm afraid of what she'll say- or do."

"You're never gonna' know till you tell her." He stacked some papers and put them in front of him. "Besides, the longer you wait, the more angry she's probably gonna' be."

What he was saying did make sense. "You're right. But I just don't know how to go about it. I just can't come out of nowhere and say 'Hey, I forgot to tell you this but I have an eight year old son that I just found out about. Oh and by the way, Bridget was his mother.' That's just such an asshole move, you know?"

Lamar nodded, the wheels in his brain turning. "I don't suggest telling her in public unless you want the police to take her away in hand cuffs..."

"Oh yeah, that's real helpful, Lamar. Thanks." I said sarcastically.

"Hey, I'm tryin' to help you out! If you don't want my help, just say so!"

I sighed and rubbed the temples of my head. "Damn, I messed up."

"You did. You did. Does he still hate you?"

"Who, Ryan?"

"Yeah. That kid."

"I don't know if he hates me. He just doesn't really seem interested in talking to me."  I put my hand on my chin and leaned on my arm.

"Well I mean, he did just lose his mother and he found out the guy he's been calling 'dad', really isn't his dad. Plus, he barely knows you. Give him time. It's only been a few months. What you need to be worrying about is that wife of yours."