Chapter 23: The Storm Is Back

You are cordially invited to the 8th annual Stony High School's Class of 2006 reunion! Re-live your high school experience with all of your old friends and acquaintances!

Time: 9:00 p.m.

Place: 500 Bildon Road

When: November 17, 2014

What: Casual

Bring a guest!

As I read this invitation that had came in the mail, a funny feeling came over me. I didn't even know Stony High held class reunions. I'd never heard of them before.

"What's that, babe?" Paula appeared behind me, peering over my shoulder.

"An invitation to my high school reunion," I said setting it on the counter.

"Oh, are you going to it?"

"I don't know. I don't really want to see anyone from there."

"Aw, how come?"

"I'd rather stay in the present," I said smiling up at her.

She wrapped her arms around my neck and planted a kiss on my cheek. "Oh look, it says you can bring a guest."

"Yeah, I wonder who I would bring," I said with a whistle.

"Really funny Jason." She pinched me on my arm.

"Ow!"

"So are you gonna' go?"

"Are you off that day?"

She turned her eyes upward towards the ceiling. "Umm, I should be. I'll have to check my calendar again though."

"Alright."

"Do you know if any of your other friends got an invite? I'd love to meet them, too!"

"I don't know. One of them just recently had a miscarriage so..I'm not sure if she'll be up to going."

"Oh my gosh! That's horrible. What happened?"

"The baby's umbilical chord was wrapped around its throat for quite a while. Apparently, the doctors didn't catch it," I said feeling angry again.

How do you not catch something like that?"

"Seriously?"

I nodded.

She scoffed and folded her arms. "I'd sue my doctors for everything they're worth if that happened to me!"

"Yeah, I haven't talked to her in a while so I don't know what she's doing."

"How's her husband taking it?"

What an awkward situation to explain. It would take me literally all year to tell her how the baby was conceived, not to mention who the baby's father was.

"She's not married," I said simply.

"Oh."

Paula and I never discussed serious topics like premarital sex so I didn't know if she was silently judging Alea or understanding her situation.

As if she was reading my thoughts she added, "I hope she does come though. I could give her some encouraging words. I have lost people close to me too, after all."

I sensed the pain flowing through her words and got up and embraced her with a hug. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's okay. If I don't think about the accident, then I'm completely fine. Taylor on the other hand - well, she still isn't doing too well."