Chapter 24: Eye of the Storm

It was silent in Paula's car as we drove to her house so she could change her clothes. I supposed she was still upset at me labeling her as a"friend" in front of Yolanda.

She hadn't said a word since we left my job.

"So what kind of restaurant is it?" I asked trying to get her to talk to me.

She sighed and said, "I already told you it's a high class restaurant."

"What kind of food do they serve?"

"Umm, filet Mignon, tilapia, a bunch of stuff."

"That's cool. Is it super expensive?"

"Why are you trying to make small talk?"She said shooting me an annoyed look.

"I'm just trying to talk to you. You've been really silent since we left."

"Why did you say I was just a friend?"

I started to say something but closed my mouth. I couldn't tell her who Yolanda was. She would think I was a "womanizer".

"Are you going to answer me?" She asked hesitantly.

"Yolanda and I..used to be together," I told her.

"And?"

"She's not too fond of me being with anyone that's not her."

"Wait, aren't you still married?"

I nodded.

In her mind I could tell she was connecting the wires that were made up of my lies. "So you cheated on your wife?"

"It's not as bad as it sounds, I promise," I said quickly.

"Jason, what do you mean it's not as bad as it sounds? That's horrible! You have a daughter!"

"I know, I know. But please just listen to what I have to say," I pleaded.

She shut her mouth and returned to paying attention to the road.

"I was drunk when Yolanda and I slept together. Cindy wasn't even staying at the house at that time. She had left to stay with her grandparents-"

"And that gave you a reason to cheat on her?" She snapped, cutting me off.

"No. I know what I did was wrong but...Cindy isn't all that innocent either, you know!"

"Then why don't you talk to her? This is crazy, Jason! I'm practically going out with a married man! I'm not going to do this any longer without her, or anyone else including Yolanda, knowing about us. It's me or them," She said firmly.

I turned my head away from her and stared ahead of me. I knew she was right. This wasn't fair to her no more than it was fair to me. Being selfish was what had gotten me in this siatuation in the first place. I wasn't going to continue the cycle.

 "You know what?" I said digging in my pocket for my phone.

"What?"

"I'm going to call her right now," I said as I turned my phone on.

"Call who?"

"Cindy. I'm not going to keep hurting you like this."

"Jason, that's not called for. You don't have to-"

"Shh, the phone's ringing," I said as I held it to my ear.

"Jason, are you crazy? This is something you should be discussing in private, not while I'm-"

"Cindy? It's me Jason," I spoke into the phone.

I looked over at Paula who looked like she'd seen a ghost.