Chapter 21: The Replacement

I stormed back over to the counter to sit back in my stool. The last thing I wanted to do was sit next to the Devil.

What were her reasons for doing this? I thought we were cool and the tension between us was gone. She had been so different yesterday at the river.

What happened?

"Have you went over your script, Jason?"

I looked up and saw Yolanda coming towards me with a huge smile on her face.

Oh wipe that grin off your face.

"Yeah," I muttered, wishing that a huge boulder would drop on her at this very second.

"Good, good." She smoothed down her skirt and sat in Lamar's seat. I eyed her using my peripheral vision. She was applying her makeup.

No makeup could cover up the ugliness she has shown.

I looked away in disgust and asked one of the assistants to bring me a glass of water.

"Nervous?" Yolanda asked after I requested for the water.

"No," I replied without even looking at her.

"Hm." She held her nose up and looked around the room.

After a couple minutes of silence, I asked, "Why are you doing this?" I kept my eyes on the floor ahead of me.

"Doing what?"

"Being a bitch, Yolanda."

"I am doing no such thing. I'm simply doing my job."

"Your job isn't to make my life miserable, believe it or not." I rolled my eyes.

She grinned. "Someone has to."

I turned my head to look at her. Her eyes were elsewhere, purposely avoiding mine. I don't know why I trusted her in the first place. I should have followed my first instinct and stayed as far away from her as possible. But being in such a weak state as I was, I fell into her trap and now she was gaining control of my life.

"You're a piece of work," I snarled at her.

"A piece of work?" She said, as if my words were foreign to her.

"Yeah, I'd rather not use the other word."

"A little bitter, aren't we?" She moved the hair out of her face and smiled at the cameraman walking by.

"No, just a little fed up."

"You guys ready?" The cameraman, Carl, said positioning himself behind the camera.

"Yes, we are," Yolanda answered on my behalf.

I had the urge to rip that weave right out of her head. But then again, that would just make me even more like my father.

"Alright, we're on in five...four..three...two," Carl held up thumb, signaling for us to go.

"Hello, everyone. We have a special segment happening today. My name is Yolanda Jones and you've probably seen me on Women's News Today. Well now, you'll be seeing me twice a day!"

"That's right. Hello everyone, my name is Jason Bryant and I'm very honored to have Ms. Jones here with us today," I said, trying not to reveal too much anger.

"Thank you, Jason. I'm very glad to be here." She tossed me a kind smile.

"Since, I'm a part of the WNT team, I'd like to include that in this segment as well." She paused to listen to something that was coming in through the speaker in her ear.