Chapter 1: Cross & Wings (Prologue)

May 9th, 2012

Camila's POV

I held my sister Sofi's hand as my dad rang the Ogletrees' doorbell. My heart hammered with every ding. I didn't like parties. Social occasions were nerve wracking. Something about too many people cramped in a small space was discomforting. And I'd much rather be in my room with my guitar or scrolling through One Direction videos on YouTube. But, it was a big day for Troy—our neighbor since my family had moved to Miami from Cuba—so, I'd gathered all my courage and stepped out of my comfort zone for his 18th birthday and Completion party. Not to mention the hopeless romantic in me was really excited because Ally and Troy were finally going to see if they were life partners.

We were born with half of an incomplete tattoo and our life partner was born with the other half. At 18 we could legally complete our tattoos if we thought we'd found our life partners. I guess since there were more than 7 billion people in the world, the Universe wanted to make it easier for us to find everlasting love, which supposedly guaranteed a happily-ever-after life. We still had to go through the whole trial-and-error dating process and all the typical ups and downs of relationships. But a completed tattoo was supposed to remind us that the relationship with our partners was going to be worth it.

The door opened and Troy's grinning face greeted us. "Hi guys!" he said excitedly as my family hugged him.

Sofi giggled as Troy picked her up and led us into the house. My parents scattered off right away to their respective social circles and I followed Troy and Sofi out to the backyard. Breathe and smile. Breathe and smile. Breathe and smile. I repeated to myself as I switched to social Camila mode.

"Mila! Sofi!" Ally yelled excitedly when she saw us and she left a group of people to come hug us.

"Congrats Ally! I can't believe this is finally happening! When is the tattoo artist getting here?" I asked excitedly.

"That's Adam Levine over there talking to some of my high school friends," Ally said, pointing to the group she'd just excused herself from.

I saw a handsome man with dark, slightly spiked hair and sleeve tattoos talking to a group of three girls that looked familiar. One of the girls suddenly looked at me and I found myself staring into a pair of greyish-green eyes. Fuck. Lauren Jauregui.

--Flashback--

August 2011 (9 Months Ago)

No One's POV

Camila had just finished performing in Syco Music's annual summer recital. She was greeting family that had come to watch her perform, when she saw her former best friend, Alexa Ferrer, talking to Lucy Vives and Lauren Jauregui by the curtains on the stage.

Alexa and Camila's dads were coworkers and, once upon a time, Alexa and Camila used to be inseparable childhood best friends. When Camila was going into the 5th grade, Alexa, who was a year older, got a scholarship to go to Carrollton Sacred Heart School (K-12) for the 6th grade. And that's when everything changed. Alexa met Lauren Jauregui and was quickly consumed in her new school life with her new friends. Play dates with Camila became less frequent till they stopped all together.

Camila always had trouble making friends as a kid, so losing her best friend hit her hard. Instead of playing with kids her age, Camila, being an unreasonably obsessive person, spent hours on her computer scrolling through Alexa's Myspace and looking at her ex-best friend's pictures and videos with her new friend group. Lauren was in all of Alexa's pictures and in every single video Alexa introduced Lauren as her best friend. Camila felt like she was replaced too quickly and loathed Lauren for stealing her best friend.