Chapter 7: Love Only

Lauren's POV

Our first outing as a group was so successful that all five of us continued to hang out together after class and on the weekends. Though Camila and I never directly talked or interacted, we'd both reached a silent agreement to tolerate each other in a group setting. The feelings of hatred that I had for Camila mitigated gradually as I saw different aspects of her that I hadn't noticed before.

September 2016

A few weeks after term began, I was busy finishing an art project in the art studio when I heard my phone vibrate. I decided to take a break and checked my phone.

Uteruses Before Duderuses Group Chat

Allysus: What time will all of you be home today?

Camilk 2%: Do I ever leave? Already home.

MoMoney: I finish teaching dance at 7, so 7:30ish. Sup?

Lern Jerky: Almost done, should be home in a couple of hours.

Allysus: Dinah?

Camilk 2%: Mofo's passed out on the couch. Judging by her snores, I don't think she'll wake up till tomorrow.

MoMoney: WTF. It's only 4pm.

Lern Jerky: Everything okay, Ally?

Allysus: Yeah. I wanted to ask a favor.

Allysus: Tomorrow I have an audition for an upcoming opera and I was wondering if I could sing my piece for y'all for some constructive feedback.

MoMoney: OMG! I'd love to hear you sing!

Lern Jerky: That's not even a favor, Ally. It'll be our pleasure! :)

Camilk 2%: Of course, Ally!

Camilk 2%: Lmk what time tho cuz I gotta start waking up sleeping ugly an hour in advance.

MoMoney: LOL. You are so dead when DJ wakes up and reads this.

Allysus: 8:30?

Lern Jerky: Down, see you then! :)

My phone kept buzzing with group messages, but I went back to work and decided to check them later.

-----

Ally promptly came to my room at 8:25pm to call me down. When I reached downstairs, Camila was squished into the corner of the couch beside Normani, who had her arms protectively around Camila as Dinah tried to hit Camila with a Barbie doll that she'd brought for her sister Regina. Normani grabbed the other end of the doll and it got decapitated in the tug-of-war that followed.

"Your royal ass better buy my sister a new doll," Dinah said to Normani.

"Hell no, you buy her a new doll! It's your own fault for being stupid with it," Normani retorted.

"You were siding with that little brat! She called me 'Sleeping Ugly'!" Dinah shouted.

"Truth hurts," Camila mumbled.

"Girl, you cute as hell. Don't let jealous bitches cramp your style," I said in typical Dinah speak.

"You a true friend, Lauren. Come cuddle with me," Dinah said.

Dinah took the other corner of the couch and pulled me into her arms. I stuck my tongue out at Normani as I snuggled into Dinah.

"Come on, Mila. Let's show them what real cuddling looks like," Normani said. Camila wrapped both her arms and legs around Normani in a koala hug and Normani snuggled into the hug, wrinkling her nose at me and Dinah. Dinah was about to retort when we heard Ally sing.