Chapter 25: Back to Me

May 2023 (9 Months Since Vercy)

Lucy's POV

After Vero's successful thyroid surgery, she took radioactive iodine pills to kill any remaining cancer cells and took hormones on a regular basis to keep her body in check. Soon, Vero was cancer free.

Living with Vero was supposed to be a temporary arrangement for me, but neither of us brought up the topic of me moving out. After much insistence, Vero even let me split the rent with her. And though I had my own room, I slept cuddled up with her on her bed every night and we lived like an old couple—without the sex, of course. We did everything together: woke up, ate, worked, hung out with our coworkers and other friends, grocery shopped, watched TV, exercised, argued, etc.

-----

I walked into the break room of our law firm early one day and found Vero pinned against one of the counters by Sarah. Their bodies were pressed against each other. One of Sarah's arms was around Vero's waist and the other was stroking Vero's hair flirtaciously, while Vero laughed at something. No one knew we were partners and we weren't in an official relationship, but it was kind of a silent agreement—at least on my part—that Vero and I were exclusive. My insides churned with envy and before I could stop myself, I cleared my throat.

Sarah turned around and said, "Hey Luce! I was just asking Ronnie if she was free to go out with me on Saturday. If you're free, you should come too!"

I was glaring at Vero, but she was red in the face and avoiding my eyes.

"Sorry. I'm busy," I said curtly and left the room.

I hurried to my office as jealousy coursed through my veins. Suddenly, I felt helpless and trapped. I needed to get out. I quickly grabbed my things and rushed out of the firm. My head was pounding with images of Sarah and Vero together as I walked the two miles to the apartment. We're not official. She can see whomever she wants. You hurt her in the past. Why would she want you back? She doesn't need you.

I let out a frustrated scream once I reached the apartment. I went to my room and started throwing everything haphazardly into my suitcases. Vero could be with whomever she wanted and I'd still love her regardless. But right now, I needed to get the fuck out of her apartment for my sanity. My phone was buzzing nonstop, but I ignored it and kept packing. An hour later, I was hauling everything to the front door, when it opened and Vero walked in.

"I've been calling you for the past two hours. What're you doing?" Vero asked.

"I finally found an apartment," I lied.

"W-what? You're moving out?" Vero asked in shock.

"Yeah, this was just temporary, right? Thanks for letting me stay. I-I'll just get out of your hair now," I said as my voice cracked. My eyes were increasingly watery. Fuck. Don't cry. Hold it together. Be strong. If Sarah makes her happy, then just let her go.

"Look Luce, I know what it looked like in the lunch room, but it wasn't what you thought it was," Vero said. But I ignored her and went into my room to get more stuff. Vero followed me and kept talking, "Lucy, please. Sarah just broke up with someone so she's been extra flirty with everyone. She asked you out also, remember? She just wants a rebound."

"Nothing's stopping you," I sniffled, picking up some bags.

"I don't want anything with her. I made that very clear. I told her that I'm with someone."

"You didn't have to lie," I said and tried walking out of my room, but Vero blocked the door with her body.

Vero gently took my bags from me and put them on the ground. "But I am with someone," she said, pressing her body against mine. She reached up, kissed my ear gently, and whispered, "I'm yours. Don't you know that by now? I've always been only yours, Lucy."