The Untold Memories

"Josh? Why don't you come back over here? You can play with the legos some more while we talk."

There was the sound of shuffling footsteps and the legs of a wooden chair scraping across the floor. A moment of silence followed by the rattle of hard plastic blocks and the soft clicking sounds of the blocks being snapped together.

"What's that you're building?"

Snap. Rattle. Snap.

"It looks like a cave."

Rattle. Snap.

"Is it a secret hideout?"

Snap.

"Josh?"

A quiet sigh.

"It's home."

"Who's home?"

"Mine and Ethan's."

"I see. Is this where you lived before Simon and JJ found you?"

Snap. Snap. Rattle.

"Josh?"

Then there was the sound of chair legs against the floor and footsteps receding.

"Okay. Let's talk about something else. Do you remember what we talked about yesterday? Do you want to tell me some more about your mum?"

Silence.

"Josh?"

Silence.

"Josh?"

Silence.

Silence.

Silence.

Simon jerked slightly in his chair as the recording ended with a loud 'click.' He looked up to see Dr. Dawson regarding him sadly. The child psychologist was a young man, brown-haired and clean-shaven. A little on the overweight side, his round face exuded trust and gentleness. It was probably hard for him to admit that he had finally met a child he couldn't win over.

"Now do you understand my concern with Josh being assigned to your care? You're not exactly the most experienced of foster carers...and from what I understand Tobi was a relatively easy child to take in."

Simon Minter shook his head. "No, I don't. He just doesn't feel like talking right now or maybe it's just you he doesn't want to talk to."

"Has he talked to you about the months following his mother's death? Who taught him how to survive on the streets before he was picked up by social services? What happened at the group home he and Ethan stayed at? What happened between the time they ran away to you finding them?"

"He'll talk when he's ready."

"Mr Minter, I realise that you've formed a strong bond with the boy but even so neither you or JJ are trained when it comes to victims of sexual abuse..."

"James said there's no physical evidence ...!"

"A lack of evidence is not proof it didn't happen!"

"Whoa, whoa! That's enough." Dr. Gamble held up his hands between the two men whose voices were growing steadily louder. "Let's not lose our focus here."

Dr. Dawson sat back in his chair and stared down at his clipboard of notes. Drawing a deep, calming breath, he let it out slowly through his nose. At the same time, Simon pushed himself to his feet and began pacing the small room as he ran one hand through his short, blond hair. James Gamble watched both men, his dark eyes filled with understanding and compassion.