Father and Son Pt. 5

Deji watched as the police searched the area surrounding the car. So far they'd come up empty and he knew the snow was causing problems with the investigation. So far the only object they'd found was a broken syringe and it had already been sent to the lab for analysis. He heard the sound of an approaching vehicle and looked up as Callux's car pulled up behind his.

"Anything new mate?" Cal asked.

"This fucking storm is making it hard to find anything! Someone found a syringe near the truck, but that's about all they've uncovered."

"Any idea what was inside the syringe?" Cal asked as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"No, but it's on its way to the lab."

"Have you talked with JJ since you called me?"

"I spoke with him a few minutes ago. The boys are sleeping right now, but JJ's a nervous wreck. He wants to be here, but I told him there's not much we can do right now and the boys are going to need him when they wake up," Deji explained as two investigators continued to go over the interior of the car with a fine tooth comb.

"Was Si on bad terms with anyone who would want to take him?" Cal felt ridiculous for asking it, but asked anyway.

"I don't think so. This is Simon we're talking about. The guy doesn't exactly go looking for a fight," Deji pointed out. "Anything guys?" he asked the police.

"Got plenty of prints off the interior and one partial off the passenger side door," the grey haired man answered.

"Simon had the outside washed yesterday," Cal explained about the lack of prints on the outside.

"So this could possibly be his or..."

"Or whoever took him and Josh," Deji finished.

"There's nothing that points to kidnapping, Sir," the man explained.

"What about the syringe?" Cal asked.

"We don't know if that was used on either Simon or Josh. It could've been thrown out of a car by some junkie..."

"Surely it's too much of a coincidence that it was found close to Simon's car," Cal said as they watched the other investigator drop several small items into evidence bags before tagging them.

"I think you're probably right Sir, but we have to look at this from every angle. Why don't you boys go out to the your friend's house and we'll call as soon as we have some definitive answers," he suggested.

"No way. This is my brother's boyfriend and his son we're talking about and until you've finished here, we're not leaving," Deji vowed and watched as the team continued to investigate the car and surrounding area.

...

JJ glanced at the sleeping boys and hoped they'd stay that way until they had some good news to tell them or Simon and Josh walked through the door. Somehow he knew the latter would not happen anytime soon. He looked at the small nativity scene lovingly created by Harry at school the day before. The boy was so proud of the way he'd coloured Mary, Joseph and the Baby Jesus and had set them into the straw filled box. The three wise men were on their knees in front of the manger and each held a gift for the baby. He smiled as he looked at the gifts and knew they'd come from the little boy's heart. Instead of the usual gifts there were toys for the baby to play with and a blanket to keep warm. He knew Harry had placed the small horse next to one of the wise men, and later Josh had found him a little red wagon and a blanket to place next to the other two. His eyes shone with moisture as he looked at the baby wrapped in clothes.

'Please, bring them home safe,' he silently begged before looking out into the storm once more.

...