Story of Dusk

Dusk was nine, a warrior, on his first mission to attack the SpaceWings. He wasn't fond of the idea of a full on war on Saren, but he knew what the SpaceWings had done to him and his clan and he knew they needed to be stopped.

Dusk was flying Northeast, from Gold Mountain to the City of Light. It was late in the evening and the low sun gave off a golden light. He dimmed his glow so he couldn't be spotted as easily. As he approached the SpaceWing's capital, he flew close to the ground, landing on the outskirts behind a bush.

The town was bustling with dragons with the hum of conversations. And the dragons were so colorful. This was the most colorful place he had ever seen. His eyes scanned the area. There were several houses and shops. One shop had wooden barrels outside that dripped of a strange black liquid with a high viscosity. He knew for sure that the wood would be more flammable than the adobe buildings.

Dusk waited till no one was looking his way then leaped into the air and shot a burst of hot blue flames towards the barrels. A bright light flashed before his eyes followed by a deep and loud rumble. An explosion blew Dusk back and knocked him down on the ground. His ears were ringing, but he could hear screams coming from the town. Apparently whatever was in the barrels was highly flammable. His limbs ached, but he knew he had to get out of here.

"Hey you! Get back here!" Hissed a voice.

Dusk scrambled onto his feet, opening his wings to make himself look bigger. A male SpaceWing with an dark orange glow ran towards him, fangs bared. The SpaceWing hissed bright blue electricity his way, but Dusk manged to jump over it right in time. With claws outstretched, Dusk came down and slashed them across the chest of the SpaceWing with such force that it knocked him down to the ground. Dusk was breathing heavily, looking down at his opponent.

When he lifted his eyes, there was another dragon staring at him. She was smaller than him with these big turquoise eyes looking right back at him. She had dark grey scales just like his, but dappled with more black scales than him with three distinct scales on her left cheek that formed a triangle. Her horns had thin silver hoops around them, her ears had silver sphere earrings on them, and her right arm had a thin silver band around it. The most stunning part to him was her glow. It wasn't harsh like the SpaceWing he had just fought; her's was a mellow light turquoise.

"W-who are you?" She asked him cautiously.

He jerked forward, but he stopped himself in his tracks. He couldn't attack her. She didn't do anything wrong. "Go home," he said flatly. He then turned around and took off into the sky, headed West towards the sun.

"Hey, wait!" He could hear her call to him as he flew away, but that didn't stop him.

He decided to fly West instead of South so he wouldn't lead her back to Gold Mountain.

"You just can't leave! Why would you just hurt other SpaceWings like that?" Said the SpaceWing who was suddenly flying near him.

He looked over at her, not sure how to feel. Surprised? Angry? Happy? Sad? He wasn't sure.

"You need to go back. It's not safe for you," he said.

"What are you talking about? It's not like there's anything to be scared of out here."

That made him smile slightly, even though he was trying his best not to. "That's not what I meant. Just go back. It's getting late."

The sun was now below the horizon, and the stars had started to appear across the sky above them. Their glows now shone as bright as the two moons overhead.

"Why should I listen to you? I'm not scared."

He started to glide down, and she followed. They were now at the Field of Light. They landed in the tall, thick grass. As his talons hit the ground, it sent hundreds of fireflies bursting all around him. It was so amazing here. The fireflies' blue glow seemed to bled in with the starry sky.

"Why are you following me?" He asked, looking over at her through the fireflies.

"You can't just set fire to the town and get away with it! Why would you even want to hurt fellow SpaceWings?"

"I'm no SpaceWing," he said, shifting his gaze upon her.

"What are you talking about? You have to be. It's not like you came from another planet."

"I am from here. You are foolish to fall for their lies," he said with a slight hiss in his voice.

She only scrunched her snout at him in return.

Sure, he was being mean, but he was being like this so she would fly away, far away from him, from his species, from all the danger about to come.

"My name is Dusk. I was named after the first bright stars that lit the sky at dusk," he said. He had been reciting that since a dragonet. All of his kind knew their names and their meanings like the back of their talons.

"Well... my name is Infinity," she said after a long pause.

He glanced side to side quickly. "You can't tell anyone about me. You have to keep it a secret." He messed up. He was supposed to stay hidden and keep himself a secret. He couldn't have her telling everyone about him.

"Why not? Everyone needs to know what's happening and who caused it."

"I should go now," Dusk said, opening his wings. More fireflies burst from the tall grass below.

"You just can't leave. Why are you being so mysterious? You have a lot to explain."

He shifted his wings uncomfortably. "... Fine. If I meet you again, will you promise to keep this a secret?"

She nodded. That was good enough for him.

Dusk then took off into the night. What would his father say when he told him what had happened that day? What would Chief Howl say? What would the clan think of him? He couldn't tell them. Not yet at least.

All he knew is that he would see the turquoise glowed SpaceWing again; and her name was Infinity.