Chapter 10

Infinity's stomach started to churn as her and Dusk lifted into the air, headed towards Gold Mountain. The fear hadn't really hit her till now. She knew she was scared, but she also had a part of her that was determined. That was what kept her flying, instead of going back into the safe walls of her home.

"Remember the story you told me, of the animus brothers Sun and Moon and what happened to our tribes?"

Dusk looked over at her and nodded. "Yes. Why do you ask?"

"It just amazes me how the story passed down in the SpaceWing tribe is so different from yours. I'm starting to think that neither of them are true."

"What? That's crazy. My clan wouldn't lie to me," Dusk scoffed.

"I would've said the exact same thing about my tribe a week ago. Just think about it. Both tribe's stories favor their side. There must be a middle ground, and that must be the truth."

Dusk opened and closed his mouth a few times, unsure how to respond. He looked back out at the horizon. "I guess that could be a possibility," he finally admitted.

"What's wrong, sunshine?" Infinity grinned.

"Don't call me that," Dusk said, scrunching his snout. He batted a wing at her, but ended up laughing with her.

A little while later, Infinity broke the silence. "I know you probably didn't ask for this; for me to flip reality on it's head and bring you down with me."

The GlowWing looked back at her with a smile. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

The two dragons made it to Gold Mountain in no time. Dusk landed in the field of golden grass near the base of the mountain first, Infinity following close behind. He pulled her under the tree, glancing side to side to check if they were alone.

"Alright genius, what's the plan?" Dusk asked.

"We talk to Chief Howl. We reason with him and get him to realize that a war with the SpaceWings is something he does not want. Then we bring him to Queen Nebula, convince her that the GlowWings are worth saving, and create a truce between our tribes. Then SpaceWings and GlowWings will live together in harmony and begin a new era." Infinity smiled, taking his talons in hers. For a second, Infinity thought he was blushing under those icy eyes of his.

"Alright, kind of a stretch, but Chief Howl is a reasonable Clan Leader. I'm also quite close with him, my father being his closest friend, so if he doesn't listen to you, hopefully he'll listen to me."

The GlowWing's face suddenly grew serious. "Follow my lead. Stay hidden until I call you out. They are going to be angry that I brought you here, so remember to stay safe." He squeezed her talons his his, then released them.

Dusk led her past the boulder, down the hallway, and into the beautiful cavern. They walked along the walls of the place, staying hidden in the trees and bushes. Once they reached the other side, by the waterfall, Dusk stopped her.

"Wait till I call you out with three taps of a claw," he whispered.

Infinity nodded, staying in the shadows and dimming her glow.

They were right alongside the Chief's large hut. It was a one story building, built from the wood of the trees native to the underground area. Dusk walked out from the forest and towards the doorway. Once he stepped inside, Infinity could overhear the voices from inside coming from a nearby window.

"Greetings, Chief Howl," said Dusk's voice.

"Ah, Dusk. It's a pleasure to see you. What brings you here?" That must be the Chief. His voice was deep and humble; nothing like the intimidating voice she had imagined.

"I know this might seem crazy, but I need you to listen to me."

"Anything for you, my boy."

"We shouldn't go to war with the SpaceWings. They are dragons, just like us; they are our kin. Bad acts of the past shouldn't define our future. The best possible future for our clan to prosper in the sun again is to create an alliance with them. They are understanding, but it will take courage and determination to sway their Queen."

His words sung like poetry to Infinity's ears. He seemed so passionate about the future they envisioned. It made her feel like she could really make a difference.

Silence followed for the next few moments until it was interrupted by Chief Howl. "Dusk, my dear child, what has come upon you? Why show this sudden love for the tribe we are sworn to hate? I see you stand up to me with the same courage and determination you speak of. I hear you loud and clear, but only a few days ago, you were attacking them."

"We are not sworn to hate them, can't you see? That was their ancestors fighting with our ancestors. We do not have to finish a battle they started. I have met one of the SpaceWings, and she has shown me the beauty of her tribe, as I have of ours. She understands us, and will stand up with us, but only if you guide our clan to the sun peacefully."

Dusk then tapped on the flooring three times with one of his claws, giving her the signal to come out. Infinity then walked out of the darkness, letting her glow shine freely. She could hear screams, gasps, cries, dragons whispering "monster" as she made her way towards the front of the hut. It hurt, but instead of retreating, she raised her snout and continued forward. The SpaceWing stepped into the Chief's hut with her colors glowing proudly. She stood next to Dusk, her strangeness making her seem larger than the tall warrior dragon standing next to her.

The hut seemed larger from inside; a long carpet leading to a soft cushion that seemed to be woven from cloth that the Chief sat upon. The wood was a soft brown/grey color, giving the area a nice feeling. Hanging from the ceiling were lit lanterns, filled with cooler orange fire, encased by clay and glass. Along the sides on the walls to her right and left were two doors and ink paintings of dragons. Underneath each painting was the word "Chief" followed by a name, and the meaning behind their name.

Infinity found herself staring at the Chief. He was tall and bold looking. He had black scales with several darker scales scattered everywhere, like her. He wore a headdress made of several blue feathers, all connecting at a flat circle, silver object about the size of a fist, with a moon crescent carved on it. His glow was white as snow, matching his eyes. Placed proudly on his chest was a large white fang hanging from a blue and white beaded necklace. Perhaps the fang of a Blackbruise Ape, Infinity guessed from her knowledge.

Chief Howl stood up immediately. A worried and confused expression appeared on his face. "What is an other doing here?" He demanded.

"I am Infinity; Infinity of the SpaceWings," she answered, trying to make her voice sound as sturdy as possible. "Don't worry, I am a friend. If we work together, we can aim for a future that lets you have your forest back, and ends with none of your precious clan's lives lost."

"How can I trust you? You're an intruder. You're clan was the one who sentenced us to this darkness."

"You can trust me, Chief Howl," Dusk chimed in. "Infinity is speaking the truth. She wants to help both of the species on this planet live in harmony at last. You know I wouldn't lie to you."

The large GlowWing paused for a moment, thinking about the life changing decision. "Alright, I'll trust you, Infinity. I will do this for my clan, and the future of Saren. Where do we start?"