Chapter 8

"Oh holy stars above, what do we do now?" Infinity whispered in panic.

"Dusk, I know you're out there. Stop playing around and come here!" Storm shouted again.

Dusk looked back at Infinity. "He doesn't know you're here. Stay here, hidden, and I'll deal with him." Before Infinity could get a word in, Dusk spread his wings and glided to the balcony to talk with his father.

The SpaceWing checked to make sure her glow was covered by mud still, then edged closer to hear what they were saying.

"Why were you in the trees, Dusk?" Storm demanded in an unfriendly tone that Infinity did not approve of.

"Just looking at nature..." The young GlowWing answered. "What do you want?" He asked quickly to change the subject.

"You know better than to slack off after a mission instead of coming straight to me. Now how did it go? How many deaths in the City of Light?"

"Well, I ran into a one of them after I set fire to one of the shops, so I had to leave before I could analyze the situation..."

"Were you not being aggressive enough again, and that's your excuse?" Storm growled.

"That actually happened, Dad. Thanks for believing in me," Dusk growled.

The large GlowWing sighed. "I'm only pushing you so you can achieve your very best, Dusk. You have the potential to become Chief and go down in dragon history. Can't you see I'm doing this for you?"

"I'm going for a breath of fresh air," Dusk frowned, leaping off the balcony and gliding down into the forest.

Infinity followed him, tree hopping down until she landed next to him. She opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted by him: "Don't worry about me. I know he cares, he just has a funny way of showing it." He said as if reading her mind.

They started to walk towards the entrance to the hidden cavern. "What do you think of this place? What do you think of our culture?" He asked Infinity.

"I think it's beautiful, all of it. Seems the GlowWings sure have adapted well to the underground life, but it's not right for all of you to live hidden. I know what you all are fighting for."

"Wait, what did you call us?" Dusk asked, laughing.

"GlowWings? What's so funny about that?"

"It seems that the SpaceWings have put a label on my species. Here, were are not GlowWings, we are just dragons, or pure ones. And we would call your kind a SpaceWing, an other, or a mutant-" Dusk cut off, realizing what he just said.

"You think I'm a mutant?" Infinity asked, wounded.

"No, wait- I didn't mean that. You're not like them, you're perfect-" Dusk blurted out. His face turned red, embarrassed. Infinity didn't know what to say back, but she could feel her face turning red too.

"Let's go back outside," Infinity said.

When the two of them stepped outside into the open air, it was already sunset. Then sun was just above the horizon, setting the sky afire with red and orange. After Dusk finished moving the giant rock back in it's place, she said to him: "I have to go now, Dusk. It's getting late, and my father will be mad if I show up super late again tonight."

"Let me take you there. I have nothing else to do anyways."

The two young dragons took off into the air. But this time, it wasn't in painful silence.

"You know, SpaceWings aren't as bad as you think. We may have our minds focused on the stars, but that's not bad. We have achieved great heights, and our knowledge is advanced. We are dragons, just like your kind, but just believe in different goals."

Dusk nodded in response, taking in her reasoning.

Infinity looked out at the city lights as they grew closer to them, and the sky turned darker. "You asked me earlier if I would join you in your fight for freedom, and my answer is yes, but not for what you intend to do. I think our tribes should join and become one. You can take back the Western Forest, and we'll share the planet with you freely. Isn't that a better solution than war?"

Dusk smiled. "I like that plan a lot better. Although one thing, it won't work... Your Queen and my Chief are automatic enemies."

"You're right," Infinity said as they approached her home town. "I think I should go back with you tomorrow morning. We'll talk with Chief Howl, get him on our side, and then we'll go to Queen Nebula. She's the one we have to worry about agreeing with our plan."

They landed on a tree near Infinity's house. "That's a big plan. Are you sure we can pull this off?"

"No..." Infinity admitted, "But if we don't try, then who else will? We need to take matters into our own talons." She stood up straight, raising her head.

Dusk grinned at her, his glow shining brighter.

"I have to go now. Meet me tomorrow morning." She brushed her wing against his as a friendly farewell, then flew down to her house.

For some reason she wasn't afraid of what was to come. She felt more confident knowing Dusk was going to be at her side.