Taken Down A Notch

Before The Storm

My sleep was fit full at best. I was tossing and turning, a result of this morning's realization. And in that time, my dreams showed that I killed an old friend. Tracer. I tried to push the feeling away, but I couldn't. Iowa and I are the only one's left, besides our Mentor, from that team.

I was leaning against the wall in the observation room, watching Hawaii and Kansas train. But, really, I wasn't focused on them. My mind was wondering aimlessly. Our conversation with the Director. When we explained, he just sat there, and stared at us, not showing any hint at emotion. When we finished, he stood up, and ordered us to tell him why we didn't come to him right after we found out.

After we didn't answer for several minutes, he quickly dismissed us, the door automatically shut behind us, almost catching Iowa's hand. She just glared at the door, and turned to us. We couldn't help but laugh. She glared at us, and shook her head.

Hawaii and Kansas left the training room, both exhausted from their three hour match. They immediately ambled to the locker room. I heard quiet chatter from them, picking up on key words, like "C-O," "Leader board," and some others. Thinking was was odd, I followed them quietly. It was clear they didn't see or hear me.

I knew their lockers were the closest to the doors, because we all used to group in here, and have meetings amongst ourselves. I stopped just outside the door, out of their line of sight. When Zeta told me they weren't looking, I snuck in, and crouched down behind the other side of the lockers.

"Who do you think is gonna take Montana's spot? Me or you?" Hawaii asked. Just at that sentence, I was about ready to beat him to a bloody pulp. "Eh, man. I don't really know. One of us, that's for sure," Kansas said, but I could easily tell that he didn't like the conversation. "I mean seriously, they're dead meat anyways! Why the hell does he leave them up on the board? To me, it's just wasted space. The spots could be filled by someone who is actually alive!" Hawaii exclaimed.

this outburst made me stand up. I paused to listen to Kansas's next words. "Shh, Hawaii! What if Nevada or Iowa hears you? You know they are close friends to them!" Kansas quietly said, but still loud enough for me to hear. I felt my hand twitch, and I stepped around the lockers.

"Uh-oh," Kansas said, and backed away from Hawaii. "Oh, come on man! You're supposed to be my partner!" Hawaii exclaimed, still staring at me. "Not against her!" Kansas yelled, and ran to hell knows where. That left Hawaii and me. I smiled viciously behind my helmet.

I wondered if he knew he made the wrong choice. I could hear him curse under his breath. I took the two strides to him, and slammed my fist against the front of his helmet. He stumbled back, trying to evade my next assault. Too slow. I grabbed the front of his armor, and slammed him against the lockers, which dented on impact.

The thud echoed around the room.

I held his throat lightly in one hand, just enough to threaten him, and the other was still clamped on his armor. He was raised a few inches off the ground, making me slightly look up at him. "This should remind you to don't bad mouth two Spartans that can easily kick your ass," I slammed my free fist into the front of his helmet again. I let him drop to his feet.

He tried to swing at me, but I grabbed his fist, and flipped him over my head, and slammed him against the floor. I took a single step back, and allowed him to get up. That's when I kneed him in the stomach, grabbed his armor again, and threw him across the room. His back collided with the unused lockers on the back wall, denting them as well. Some of the locks clattered to the floor.

I walked to him, and dragged him to his feet. I didn't attack again. "This should teach you to never fucking open that mouth of yours, Hawaii. Don't let me ever catch you talking bad about them again. If I do, I'll leave you bruised and broken. And trust me, I will," I said venomously. He just nodded his head, silent and dazed.