1

6, June 2013

Dear Mum,

I've arrived at Norwood today. It's just how you described it. The sky is gray, the trees are dark and somber, and the old lake does look like a large pool of half-digested spinach.

I'm sorry I never believed you when you told me how dull and dreary the manor was. Did it just drive you mad living here? What am I saying, of course it did.

I wish I could leave- like you did all those years ago. But I'm stuck here for at least the next three years. I already feel suffocated and I haven't even been here for more than an hour.

Dad wasn't even the one who picked me up today. I haven't seen him yet. No, his driver, a rather mean looking man named James, greeted me at the station. At first I thought no one was there for me. I was the only one off at the stop and not one person was outside on the platform. The porter didn't seem concerned, however, and once he had placed my bag on the station platform and tipped his hat, he was gone, back on the train as it chug-chugged away.

I was certain that I had been forgotten-after all, I was already unwanted. I spent 10 minutes standing there trying to think of what to do.

I couldn't ring anyone because I broke my cellphone last December and we never got around to getting it fixed. I could find a phone booth somewhere, perhaps, but I didn't have a number to reach dad at and a fat lot of help calling anyone else would do.

I was going to pull out some paper to write when I heard him.

"Oh, Blast it all to hell, why not? This is not my job, is what I'll say. And it isn't, is it? Didn't even know, did I? And then he has the nerve! Why are you here, James? Well I was never told to be there. No, sir because- Oh bugger! Where am I?"

A young, seemingly unpleasant, man appeared on the other side of the platform and pulled a scrap of paper out of his coat pocket before turning straight towards me.

"Are you Lady Laura Ordon?"

"Who are you?" I said.

"Oh blimey, well are you or aren't you Laura Ordon? I don't have time for these games. Your father sent me."

And when I asked why he didn't pick me up himself, he just waved me off.

"Lord Ordon can't be bothered with such things."

Mum, I know it's silly and I'm too old for such things but I almost cried. My first time even seeing this wretched place and dad sends this rude man?

If you were here I know you would just tap my cheek and tell me "Chin up, darling" with that lovely smile on your face so that is what I have been telling myself ever since James met me at the station. And that is my new motto.

I must run now. A maid named Nancy wants to put my clothes away. I'm not sure how I feel about that!

Your daughter, with her chin up,

Laura xoxo

P.S. I will keep writing to you until I don't feel so lonely.

P.P.S. I miss you loads.