5

Dear Mum,

Sorry I didn't finish the story in the last letter but like I said, there's a lot to it. I didn't realize how much there was to tell you but there is. Oh, how I wish you were here in person. I miss you.

Chin up, Laura.

But I did go exploring like I said I might and I found something very interesting and confusing. I want to ask you about it but first I must finish my story.

Here goes (again):

I took a deep breath and knocked twice on the big, dark doors.

I don't know what I was expecting, really. For father to swing open the doors and hug me? For me to open the doors and see him smiling at me? I don't know.

But I wasn't expecting Claire.

"Come in." I heard her say in that awful nasally voice she has. She sounds like a fly buzzing around with a constant cold.

Is that too mean? I'm sorry, mum, but I know you don't like her either.

I hesitated but of course I did open the door and there Claire was, leaning on father's desk. I was too occupied with the fact that she was humongous to even notice what the office looked like.

She was indeed pregnant and I had to force my eyes away from her bulging stomach in order to properly greet my step-mother. And I realized, that dad wasn't even in the room. I felt tricked.

She must have noticed this because the first thing Claire said to me was: "Daniel is running behind but he really didn't want to make you wait any longer so he suggested we become acquainted before he arrives."

She stood up from the desk and motioned towards a chair for me to sit in and she occupied the seat across from me. It felt like an interview I wasn't prepared for.

"Well, I'm sorry for the circumstances that have brought you to Norwood but now that you are here I'm sure we can expect nothing but the best behavior from you. What do you say, Laura?"

She was talking to me as if I was a child. She obviously didn't
sense the "I'm a woman, here me roar!" vibe I was aiming for.

"Of course." I say and try not to stare at her but the truth is, I've never seen this woman before in my life. She knows nothing about me and I wanted to scream and tell her I'm sorry for the circumstances too! But just so you know, I'm an excellent student who has never been in trouble, ever! Why don't you just bugger off?

How dare she try to mother me!

As I looked at her I saw nothing of you. She has red hair, cut just to her shoulders in a way that reminded me of a 1950's housewife. The matching pearl necklace and earrings didn't help and she was wearing a blue tweed suit (tweed!) and I couldn't help but wonder if she had to have it specially made to fit her baby bump. You could see she was beginning to develop lines around the side of her eyes and her mouth- she was aging and no amount of foundation or pink lipstick was going to reverse it

How old was she? 38 or 39? At 42 you were prettier than she ever was.

"Also, your father is very busy so you mustn't expect to see him often. The family usually has evening meals together, although tonight we have a gala, and that would be your time with him but be conscious of the fact that he does have other people to talk to. You will learn very quickly not to be selfish." I nodded my head dutifully although I resented her for assuming I was a bad person and that I was here to ruin her family.

"Good. As for your schooling, I am personally looking into options for boarding school that will begin in September. Someone will let you know when the school has been decided. But it's leaning towards Benningtons, which is north of London. That is where Victoria will go this coming school year." She stood up and walked/waddled over to the desk and produced a brochure for Benningtons. Basically it is an all girls school, was founded in 1836, and looks just as dreadful as Norwood. I'm not sure if staying or going would be better. Just as I thank her for the brochure the door opens and father is there.

When was the last time you saw him mother? Even in a picture? He looks...old.

He's still handsome of course but his skin has turned somewhat leathery and there's no hiding the silver streaks that interrupt his once jet black hair. He was wearing a Navy blue suit with a striped tie and he smiled at me. He's only ever smiled at me a handful of times and each time feels like I've won a prize.

"Hello, my girl!" He said and he walked over to me and hugged me with alarming strength for someone approaching his 45th birthday. The hug only lasted a second but it was wonderful and he smelled minty.

"Did Claire explain everything to you? My schedule is so busy these days, of course. I just came from a bloody awful meeting with the prime minister. Can't talk about it in detail, of course, but let's just say there aren't a lot of people seeing things clearly!"

As daddy was standing there I saw how you could have fallen in love with him. His hairs may have been turning gray now but his eyes were wide with excitement anytime he spoke and his hands dance when he speaks. He's so vibrant, just as I remembered him. It almost makes up for the lack of color outside.

But before he got too far into his story Claire clears her throat. He looks over to her and as if suddenly remembering something unpleasant, purses his lips. "Ah, right. Yes, well we do have a event tonight, I'm afraid we can't miss it, so this will have to be the end of our meeting. But I will surely see you tomorrow. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask Ms. Merwin." And just like that our meeting was over. He was really tossing me out of his office. It hadn't even been 5 minutes. I wanted time with my father and Claire swooped in and ended it. I don't understand.

If your marriage was anything like my interaction with him I can see why you left.

I have made a list of all the things I hate.

- Norwood
- Claire
- Boarding school
- Ms. Merwin
- Myself
- Mysteries

With her chin up,

Laura xo