15

Mum,

I feel numb as I write this letter to you.

Victoria came back from camp this morning and after settling in and having tea, we got right to work.

"Right, I think the first thing we need to do is find out about Mr. Ridley. You know, see if he has any relation to your mother." Victoria said and as we sat on my bedroom floor I was grateful to her for taking the lead for now. Sometimes it's hard for me.

We looked at his employee papers and found out that he's twenty years older than daddy and started working at Norwood in 1969, the year after dad was born. He is primarily a handy man but he did tutor dad and Victoria during the school months for a while.

"Blimey. I knew he was old, but wow. That means Grandpa must have hired him. Ah, yes. See? That's Grandfather's signature right there."

"Oh, yes. Nothing fishy about the hiring. Let's see..." And as I flipped through the papers everything did seem to be in order. "Nothing is off here so- wait. Does he live on the property?" I had almost overlooked the last page in the packet. A rental agreement.

"No, he lives in town." As we read over the document, however, we found that he once did live on the property. "The old cabin by the lake? Gosh, no one has used that place in years."

"1971 was when the housing agreement was signed." I said. "And it looks like he moved out in 1997. That's...that's so strange."

"It is?" Victoria furrowed her brow "Alright, I agree his living arrangements have been a bit odd- living off property then on and then back off- but I don't think that has anything to do with your mum, does it?"

"Victoria," I handed the paper to her. "My mum was born in 1971 and she left my dad in 1997. That along with the fact that they share a last name definitely means something."

I waited for Victoria's response but all she did was stare at the paper.

"Victoria?"

"Oh, Laura. Did you see this?" She looked at me, her eyes wide and pointed at the bottom of the paper.

Reason for housing request (optional):

Need more space. Wife and I are expecting our first child.

"Does that mean...?"

In that moment, words escaped me.

You said my grandparents on your side were dead.

Clearly, I've discovered another lie.

Did I even know you at all?

Laura