3

Dear Mum,

I'm so mad I could spit! I've just gotten back from meeting with Father and Claire. I don't particularly want to talk about it because I fear I may actually scream. Or cry. Or both. I will get back to telling you about Merwin for now.

After James just left me there with her I wasn't quite sure what to do or say. She was just staring at me and truth be told I didn't even know who this foul woman was until she introduced herself. But that didn't come straight away so I just stood there like a fool, not knowing what to do or where to look.

"Well, I suppose you have potential."

Can you believe it, mother? Those are the first words out of her mouth! Not "Hello, how do you do?" Or even "I am an evil woman who tormented your mother and I look forward to torturing you as well." And she just kept going.

"Your bone structure is fine. Your nose is a bit off center, though, and your eyebrows are a bit grisly." And I swear to you, mother, I didn't slap her no matter how much I wanted to- even when she had the nerve to actually touch my hair with her bony fingers!

"Your hair color is beautiful, just like your mother's. But too many split ends." And she turned away from me so quickly and so harshly I stumbled backwards and actually fell over my suitcase.

Oh, mum, I was so red in the face. And the old witch just turned around and smirked.

"You're clumsy, another thing you've inherited from your mother, then." And that was when I knew she was the Ms. Merwin you had told me horror stories about.

Of course she finally introduced herself after I had stood up and straightened my suitcase.

"I am Ms. Merwin, the head maid of the Manor. I am in charge of most things. Speaking of things, is that all you've brought?" She nodded at my black leather case.

"No, Ma'am. I believe my father is sending for more of my things. I don't know when they will get here, though."

She rolled her eyes and muttered something about a hassle.

Oh, mum, it just killed me to have to be polite! After the stories you've told me about how she treated you- and it looks like things are going to be the same for me. Only I can't get away.

"Your parents and sister sleep in the East wing but there were no more rooms available on that end so we've placed you here in the west wing." She spoke so fast I didn't have the opportunity to tell her that Claire isn't my parent and Victoria is only my half-sister.

"Well technically there was another room available but it is being renovated for the new baby." She says this while stopped in the middle of the hallway and looks at me for my reaction.

I didn't know Claire was pregnant again. I didn't think she would be. Victoria is already 12- I just assumed they were done. But what do I know, really?

The mer-witch must have known what I was thinking because in a way that was almost gossip-like she said to me: "Oh yes, well, nobody thought they'd have anymore children but isn't it lovely? She's 7 months along so pretty soon we'll have another member of the family." And she paused here and looked at my face for a long time before adding. "And we're hoping for a boy."

She said that last bit as if she meant to hurt me. And it did. It stung. Surely, she didn't say these things to Victoria?

She showed me to my room- a drab square block of space inhabited only by a matching bed, wardrobe and desk (on which I write letters to you). I'm sure once I have my room things it will look better. I do have a big bay window looking out to the back of the property. This is where I can see the ugly lake and trees best. And I do have my own loo with a claw foot tub.

It's not all bad. It just feels like it.

Lots of love

Laura xoxo

P.S. maybe in my next letter I will have the courage to tell you about my meeting with Dad and Claire.