7

Dear Mum,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to do more research on you in the library yet but I may have gotten a new lead from Victoria! I've finally met her and she's not that bad. Or as bad as Claire anyway. Oh, let me tell you how it happened.

Just as I was about to leave for the library, Ms. Merwin was entering my room (without knocking!) looking very displeased. She told me in a very cold tone that "Lady Victoria has requested an audience" with me. Apparently she doesn't see kindly to being ordered around by a 12 year old.

But honestly, I couldn't very well refuse, could I? Even if the wording she used made me want to laugh. So Merwin escorted me to the East wing where Victoria's room is and knocked twice on the door before Victoria answered.

"You may enter." And you could just tell that Merwin hated being told what she may or may not do.

The first thing I noticed was how pink the room was. Pink walls, pink curtains, pink furniture. Then I noticed Victoria herself. She was so dainty I could have mistook her for a porcelain doll if she hadn't stood up and walked right over to me.

She was wearing a white dress with a pink sash around the middle and her long hair, plaited down her back was the same shade as her mothers. She looked 8, rather than 12.

"Thank you Ms. Merwin. You have been such a help today while Beatrice is gone for the summer. We will need some cream and jam for our scones, if you don't mind." Victoria said while standing in front of us.

"I have already gotten you everything else, miss. You have butter enough for the scones" Ms. Merwin said pursing her lips tightly.

Victoria sighed "Do I have to tell daddy that you are refusing to help me, even though he was the one who said you were to be at my beck and call when Beatrice is out?" She batted her eyes at Merwin until finally she agreed to bring the items.

She was acting very spoiled which I found tasteless but I do wonder what it would be like to have that amount of influence over someone- especially the mer-witch!

Once the door closed and we were alone, Victoria started laughing.

"Oh, I'm sorry but she really is grody!" And when she looked at me I saw we have the same nose. Father's nose. I couldn't help but giggle right along with her until our laughter naturally died off.

"My name is Victoria, but surely you know that. And you are Laura, my half-sister. I've always wondered whether I would meet you. Let's have some tea, shall we?"

She lead me to a small circle table (pink with matching chairs) and we both sat down. There were scones, and tea and a pitcher of water, along with a bowl of small heart shaped chocolates. As I sat down and saw Victoria start to pour the tea and offer me scones, I felt a sort of sadness wash over me for her.

It seemed as though she was torn between being a child (because, clearly the pink decor and her dress stated that she was) and being a little adult (because her mannerisms are that of an experienced adult- not a 12 year old). As Ms. Merwin came back again with cream and jam, I wondered if she had any friends her age at all.

"I'm sorry if you thought I was rude but I can't stand her at all. She is simply unpleasant. Ms. Merwin, I mean." Victoria said once we were alone again. "I'm really very nice to other people."

And suddenly, we had something in common.

She asked me about my old life. What was school like, did I miss my home, did I miss you?

Even though she is only three years younger than me, the whole time I felt like I was speaking to a child. But I answered her questions honestly and if anything, our tea time was a pleasant distraction from everything going on around us.

"Do you have any questions for me?" And the hopeful way she looked at me with those brown eyes almost broke my heart, mum. Claire has those same eyes but they seem less bothersome on Victoria. Bit by bit, she was becoming more likeable.

"How do you like Norwood? It's a bit too dull for my liking." I asked her.

"Well it's okay, I suppose. Most people are usually nice to me and I can ride my horses practically anytime I want. But it is very bleak. And the lake makes me sad. I ride by it on Stella, that's my horse, you know, and it's always so hideous." It seemed that once I had gotten her going, she never wanted to stop. "But I like summer the best because there is no school for me. I've been tutored in the past- oh, I had this terrible man named Mr. Ridley come and tutor me for as long as I can remember. But next year I'm going to Benningtons. Aren't you-"

"Wait. Sorry, did you say Ridley?"
Victoria blinked and looked taken aback. Clearly no one has ever interrupted her before. But she recovered quickly at the possibility of knowing something that I was interested in.

Once I processed the name she had said I realized it was the same surname that was above your picture in the book.

"Oh, yes. Mr. Thomas Ridley. Apparently daddy has known him for years and years. He's terribly dull though. He always talks in such a monotone voice."

"How does dad know him?"

Victoria licked a bit of jam off her fingers and looked at me. "I don't know for sure but I think Mr. Ridley had something to do with re-building the stables."

I remember seeing a blueprint of the stables in the Norwood book. So when I go back to the library I will have to look at it. But I still don't know what this has to do with your name being totally different.

Mum, forgive me for asking but I want to know, did you lie about who you are?

Laura