2

Dear Mum,

In the end I let Nancy put away my things- but only because she said it was her job and she would get in trouble if she didn't do it. But I watched her and spoke to her the whole time. She has a magnificent accent and I was just mesmerized as she spoke. In any case, I don't think I'm getting stuck up.

You've always worried about me getting spoiled. I remember when I was younger you would make me work for my allowance which is completely normal but at the time I thought it was totally outrageous! My father was a Lord so why should I have to work?

Well, you knocked that privelaged thinking out of me, right quick, didn't you, mummy?

I remember, you said "Some people don't have any money. They live in boxes and eat stale bread-sometimes worse things. You are very lucky but if you can't see that then maybe we should try living like that for a bit?"

And you showed me videos of poor people that showed how they live and I started crying. I had been whining about drying dishes and sweeping the floor and there was a child in Africa who worked carrying rocks all day long for a little bit of milk.

Then you hugged me. "I didn't mean to make you cry, love, but you must understand: just because you have a title, doesn't mean you are better than anyone else. In fact, because you have a title, it means you have to work harder to help those who can't help themselves." And starting the next weekend, we volunteered at food banks and homeless shelters and lots of places together.

You worked so hard to make sure I didn't turn out spoiled. Don't worry, mum. I won't let being here change that.

After he picked me up, James still complained a lot. I tried to ignore him but I did hear him say he was"overworked" and "under appreciated". I hope father and Claire are treating the staff well. If you were here instead of Claire, I wouldn't have to wonder.

James drove us to Norwood manor and it didn't take very long at all, maybe 15 minutes and most of it was when we were already on the property. The big black gates opened with James' key and the long gravely road was narrow and spindly and went on for nearly a mile. I suppose they like their privacy, don't they?

On the way there I saw the gloom of everything, so dark and forlorn. As if, maybe once there was happiness but something tragic has happened and now no one can be happy again. Was this the feeling you had when you lived here? It must have been because you didn't stay very long. Just long enough for a new marriage to be flushed down the drain and for you to take something of his with you without even knowing it. How did it feel being pregnant with me in the midst of a divorce?

Of course none of that matters now. I've just found that I'm more curious about certain things, now, than I was before.

When we got to the manor itself, I couldn't help but feel a sense of impending doom. I wanted to stay in the car and lock the doors and never, ever come out. Chin up, Laura, I told myself as James impatiently hurried me inside where he silently handed me over to a woman before retreating back outside. I was secretly glad I didn't have to thank him for the unpleasant ride.

And do you know, the woman he handed me over to was actually the mer-witch herself? The old bat still works here! Everything you've ever said about Ms. Merwin makes sense now. In fact she

Mother! Merwin came in and told me father will be ready to see me shortly. I will write you another letter after the meeting and finish telling you about the old hag then. I'm nervous, though. How long has it been since I've spoken to him, let alone been in the same room as him? Years, I know.

Wish me luck,

Your Laura xoxo