6

Dear mum,

The silence here is unrelenting. The only sounds I hear are that of birds cawing in the distance and the ticking of the clock. It is slowly driving me mad and I often wonder how you put up with it even if you were only here for three months.

I remember you telling me stories of the minutes, hours, days you spent looking out the foggy windows and wishing for more. More time with Dad, more acceptance from his family and more happiness within your marriage. As a child I couldn't quite grasp the unhappiness you said you felt at Norwood but how could I? I had never experienced it myself. I understand perfectly now.

Do you remember when I said I went exploring? Well, I worry you won't like what I've found. I don't quite understand it myself.

I decided to go to the library because you yourself told me it was the only place you felt at ease while at Norwood. It took me a bit of time to find and I had to ask Nancy for directions. I eventually found it and luckily it was empty so I went in.

It is indeed a beautiful room. thousands of books lined the walls from floor to ceiling and the whole space smelled like old leather and ink. Each section had a small marker to indicate the genre and I set out to look for history. Perhaps I would find out some information about Norwood. The place itself is ancient so it must be interesting, I figured.

Well, I did find some information about Norwood, but what's more is that I found some information about you.

The History Section was chocked full of books about war and past Monarchs and there I found a leather book with the words Norwood Manor engraved on the front in gold ink. The book included blueprints of the Manor along with notes and drawings of all the remodels the building has had dating back to when it was first built in 1812. That was certainly interesting but what caught my eye was page 13.

Starting on the 12th page began a family tree of anyone who has ever lived here, starting with Henry and Louise Norwood in 1813- just six months after the manor was complete. I skimmed over all of the people who came before me in awe until I saw your picture on the 13th page.

There was Grandfather and Grandmother Ordon's names on top of the page and pictures of Claire and Victoria farther down along with a blank space (presumably for the baby) and in between those four, was a picture of daddy and a picture of you. Above his face I read Lord Daniel Phillip Ordon. And above your picture read Ophelia M. Ridley (first wife).

Why did it say your name was Ophelia Ridley? Your name is Susan Banks. It has always been Susan Banks, hasn't it? Surely, I would have known about a name change. But something so official couldn't be incorrect, could it?

I would have done more research right then but I started to hear voices from the hall and didn't want to get caught.

Right now seems like a fair time to go back and look a bit more so I will continue writing later.

Your confused daughter,

Laura xo

P.S. You don't even look like an Ophelia!