9

Dear mum,

I've made an unlikely ally.

Yesterday the rest of my things arrived and James (the mean driver) brought everything inside. He started complaining that the "blasted boxes" were too "bloody heavy" And just as I was going to resign myself to the fate of having to listen to him for who knows how long, Victoria came in.

And just like that he was silent. Victoria has this way of making people nice, when she wants to, without even saying a word. She instantly started chatting away.

"Hello, what's going on? Oh your things arrived, have they? Oh that's splendid!" And she went to my boxes and would ask what was in each one and then make some sort of an exclamation.

"Oh, books are lovely! And your bookcase is so pretty with that design! Where shall you put it? Where do you think James?"

And James would just kind of smile and nod- all of his unpleasantness gone. Victoria really is sweet and I think she just wants some attention. I've never experienced what it's like to have a sister before but I'm glad Victoria is the one I've got.

After all the pictures were on the walls, the books on the bookcase (on the left side of the bay window) and everything in its place, James left and Nancy came in to put the rest of my clothes away.

"'Ello, ladies! Bin a busy day so far, then? Ah, lovely clothes, I'll say! I fink yer room looks right nice, miss Low-ruh. "

And then after it was just me and Victoria admiring the positive change in my room, she asked me if I wanted to see her horses.

"I'd love to but I really should go to the library."

"Oh, I absolutely hate the library. That's where Mr. Ridley would tutor me. I've spent so long in that room I'm sure I've read every book twice." She rolled her eyes and went to leave but I stopped her.

"You know the library? Do you know of a book about the history of Norwood?"

Victoria nodded "Black leather with gold ink? Oh yes. Technically it belongs in daddy's office but I snuck it out this morning and brought it to the library to read" her eyes were wide and her voice was lowered to a whisper as she told me this last part.

Victoria told me how she needed new reading material so she snuck out a few books from father's office to the library to read but didn't have time to put the books back so she just left them there.

I told her how I found the Norwood book and how I'm sure Merwin put it back in dad's office.

"Hmm, yet another reason I don't like her. But why are you so interested in the book?"

"I just want to know more about the place I'm living." But she wasn't falling for it.

"That's not true- nobody cares about this old place. And you wanted to know about Mr. Ridley too, didn't you?" She bit her lip trying to figure it out but shook her head in defeat.

"I don't know what it is but you've got a secret and I want in on it!"

I thought about it while she pleaded with me and maybe it's not so bad. She got the book out of his office, she knows everyone's schedules and she definitely has some pull with the staff. She could certainly help me.

So now Victoria is my sidekick, I suppose.

Our first mission begins tomorrow evening after dinner. I must go because Victoria and I need to plan.

Laura

P.S. Victoria has brought up a good point- how do I get these letters to you?