Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sarah stood in a lovely dark green gown with her hair piled up in an up do. It was almost time for dinner. She was stilling thinking over the kiss in the garden. It was so different from the one in the dream. He had been so gentle and not at all forceful. She had missed that. The kiss in the dream had been so full of passion, while the one in the garden it had just been sweet. Oh, he wanted something, but what?

Sarah took a deep breath. Agatha had told her that Jareth would soon come to take her to the dinning hall. Sarah of course was stilling wondering why he had been so angry over Sir Didymus telling her about his father. She glanced over at Agatha, who was tiding up the room.

"Do you have any idea why the King would not want me to know about his father?"

Agatha stopped and looked at her. "What exactly do you mean?"

"Sir Didymus mentioned at lunch that the High King was his father."

Agatha walked towards her. "Jareth and the High King do not get along. He has refused to allow Jareth to become the High King even though he should already be."

"Why? I don't understand."

"The High King has demanded that Jareth is to marry before he can take the throne. Jareth in response said he would only marry the woman who could defeat the Labyrinth."

"You mean me?"

Agatha sighed. "This was centuries ago, but yes you."

Sarah's eyes grew larger. "So to become the High King Jareth has to marry me?"

"Yes. Actually you're much better than I thought you would be."

"What does that mean?"

Agatha smiled. "You will give him hell for the centuries to come. Jareth isn't evil, no matter what others say. He cares, Sarah. Sometimes too much. Most would use that against him, but you won't."

"Why not?"

"You are so like him, Sarah. You just don't know it yet."

"How do you know he isn't going to punish you for saying anything of this?"

Agatha placed a finger beside her mouth. "Well, one what I've said works in his favor. Second, I can get out of it. I know more than your friends."

A knock came at the door. Agatha moved towards it to open it for Jareth. "Besides he knows I can tell you all sorts of embarrassing stories about him." She smiled just as she began to open it. "So you see I have some power over him."

XOXOX

Jareth laid on the sofa in his study, watching the flames dance in the fireplace. Sarah was next door getting ready for bed, something he was torn to think about. His thoughts drifted towards dinner. It had gone, well at least to him. They didn't fight or yell. Actually they had a nice polite conversation. She didn't ask him about what he had reveal that morning, or the kiss in the garden, the one thing he did want her to bring up. No she had been beautiful and kind. It took everything he had not to dismiss the servants and then through her on the table or drag her into his lap. How could someone so innocent drive him insane?

Jareth took a deep breath. He didn't need to think about that now or he would never get to sleep, and he needed all the rest he could get. He had to protect Sarah from his stepfather. If some how the High King could find the arrows of gold again, Sarah would be in great danger. Hopefully his grandfather had hid them well this time. So what had happened to his mother would not happen again.